Sharing issues.

kirkdickinson

Contributor
This is a repost. I think I put the original in the wrong forum here. I put it in FreeNAS Legacy Sharing. This question is about TrueNAS and is the current release. I don't have any problems at all with my old FreeNAS legacy system that is still going.

With this new TrueNAS, I am having an ongoing issue with a windows share not giving me the permissions that I need to use it. I have two other threads on this and people have tried to help me, but I still have issues. I have tried setting the permissions both from the GUI and using setfacl. I still do not have the settings right.

Things that I can do:
  • I can copy files to the share
  • I can read files on the share
Things that I can never do:
  • Run an exe from the share
  • Open files from share using CMD or batch files on Windows Machines
  • Access a file based database from the share (old database program using BDE)
Things that I can do sometimes and not others:
  • Rename a file on the share
  • Delete a *.TMP file from the share
  • Rename a subdirectory on the share
I have a program on all my Windows machines called Vice Versa. It runs backups of critical files on a schedule. I have found hundreds of *.tmp files on the share. I realized that Vice Versa, when it copies files, it copies to a TMP file and after it is sucessfuly copied, then renames it to the actual file name. It can copy the file, but then the rename fails and leaves hundreds of orphan TMP files. I can't even delete them manually through from Windows Explorer.

Here are the two other threads:

Accessing from Windows machine - can't open from CMD line
I recently set up a new TrueNAS machine. I have been using FreeNAS for a few years and that machine is still running along fine. Newer machine has the newest OS, newer hardware, and more storage. The new machine is not my main machine. Has been running for a couple months mostly just backing up...

SMB Sharing issues
I set up a new TrueNAS machine back in December. It is just running pretty much as a backup machine right now and my main server is an older FreeNAS machine. On the FreeNAS machine, I set up the SMB shares following a YouTube video and they have all been working for years flawlessly. With the...

Thanks,
Kirk