Share file indexing service

Status
Not open for further replies.

gegtor

Explorer
When i search for files on my share it takes ages and this is because of share not being indexed[AFP]

I know it's possible to tell macOS to index that exact share but this is not the way to go because it's slow over network and you have to repeat this on every computer

Synology DSM has build in indexing service that does it on the server locally

Is it possible to add this feature in FreeNAS?

joeschmuck

Old Man
Is it possible to add this feature in FreeNAS?
Sorry, I don't have AFP protocol but does FreeBSD support this feature? If it does then I'd recommend you submit a feature request to implement it. If FreeBSD does not support it then I'd say it isn't likely to happen. From a very quick internet search it appears that you may be better off using SMB protocol but maybe someone will chime in here and provide a better solution.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Did you check to see if FreeBSD supports this?

joeschmuck

Old Man
You could start with a Google search for something like "freebsd afp file indexing", I found a few things that way. Being new to something like this forum should mean that you dive in and do your best to look for possible solutions and if you find something then you can suggest that to help the developers, this is what I do. You would be surprised how much information is on the internet and maybe you don't find the success story you are looking for but maybe it's all failure, still you find out something. Google is my friend.

Status
Not open for further replies.