Setting up uPnP with minidlna on the freenas nightlies post-09/25/2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

joeschmuck

Old Man
@gcooper
There is no setup for the PS3. It needs to be connected to your network of course and FreeNAS (with minidlna) must be running. It will be recognized under the Video section, same place where DVD/Blu-Ray shows up. When it comes to other DLNA devices like my Sony player, again no configuration, it just shows up.

The big part is really what file formats are compatible with each device and I'm not sure that would be a FreeNAS topic but you could create a listing of devices and what are the compatible file formats. I choose VOB (MPEG2) format as it appears compatible for everything. When dealing with HD content it gets tricky and the end user needs to find a format that works for their equipment. I haven't found a single HD format that works everywhere. For my Sony player, m2ts works fine providing you have the proper audio stream encoded.

G

gcooper

@gcooper
There is no setup for the PS3. It needs to be connected to your network of course and FreeNAS (with minidlna) must be running. It will be recognized under the Video section, same place where DVD/Blu-Ray shows up. When it comes to other DLNA devices like my Sony player, again no configuration, it just shows up.

The big part is really what file formats are compatible with each device and I'm not sure that would be a FreeNAS topic but you could create a listing of devices and what are the compatible file formats. I choose VOB (MPEG2) format as it appears compatible for everything. When dealing with HD content it gets tricky and the end user needs to find a format that works for their equipment. I haven't found a single HD format that works everywhere. For my Sony player, m2ts works fine providing you have the proper audio stream encoded.

Ok. The other annoying thing is that with enough files the older version [on 8.0.3] would crash hard when streaming the list (it might have been some unicode character escaping fun because I have some Japanese and Korean music on my machine at home..).

joeschmuck

Old Man
I rename my files that I obtain from other means to remove all those special characters as they give me difficulties at times too. I don't know if there is a maximum limit for number of files or if there is, I haven't reached it. Maybe I should dump my daughters 40+GB of music to the NAS and see if it likes it. Hey, my daughter actually buys most of her music and bought a real CD the other day. Who knows how long it will be before she scratches the hell out of it or loses it. Glad it wasn't my money this time.

Let me know how many songs you have and I'll try to replicate the problem.

G

gcooper

I rename my files that I obtain from other means to remove all those special characters as they give me difficulties at times too. I don't know if there is a maximum limit for number of files or if there is, I haven't reached it. Maybe I should dump my daughters 40+GB of music to the NAS and see if it likes it. Hey, my daughter actually buys most of her music and bought a real CD the other day. Who knows how long it will be before she scratches the hell out of it or loses it. Glad it wasn't my money this time.

Heh. I bought $3k worth of CDs from Best Buy after my fakeRAID -- that I thought was doing RAID5 but wasn't -- died on me :).

Let me know how many songs you have and I'll try to replicate the problem.

68.4GB, but it's also other media like pictures and movies that minidlna chokes on. The Sony media interface really sucks balls compared to the Xbox 360 interface.

cubix

I'm at about 10,000+ media items and i can view all songs in one list. It does take some time to populate

edit:
15,000 music files
2,000 video files
9,000 image files

zdv

Dabbler
Hello, All

I can`t config miniDLNA to play .mkv by my DLNA TV. I have started new thread and no one can not help me.
TV play mkv from USB storage correct, but via DLNA protocol not. TV play only .TS files via DLNA

Other DLNA client does not play .mkv via miniDLNA too.

if anybody know how to config miniDLNA to play mkv, please help.

versions:
FreeNAS 8.2 amd64 + minidlna-1.0.24_1-amd64

joeschmuck

Old Man
Hello, All

I can`t config miniDLNA to play .mkv by my DLNA TV. I have started new thread and no one can not help me.
TV play mkv from USB storage correct, but via DLNA protocol not. TV play only .TS files via DLNA

Other DLNA client does not play .mkv via miniDLNA too.

if anybody know how to config miniDLNA to play mkv, please help.

versions:
FreeNAS 8.2 amd64 + minidlna-1.0.24_1-amd64

Just a few questions and answers for you...

1) Are the mkv files listed on your TV? If yes then MiniDLNA is working fine, If No then MiniDLNA may not be working properly.
2) What other clients have you tried to use that support mkv files?
3) I have a nice Samsung TV that plays mkv files but not through to TV's DLNA Source Input, that input fails. I must use the AllShare application in the SmartHub, then everything is transcoded properly.

If this does not help, please answer the questions above and post any further details about the problem you are having. Do not assume we know anything is the best approach.

-Mark

zdv

Dabbler
joeschmuck
thanks. I found that my TV read only transcoding stream via DLNA

ikkenjij36

Explorer
Hi guys,just a small question,when i want to alter the conf. file of minidlna all is ok but when i give ls command it keeps saying that the conf. file is like this:minidlna.conf.sample
How can i make the change so the conf isn't .sample anymore but a real conf. file?
All help would be appreciated

joeschmuck

Old Man
Hi guys,just a small question,when i want to alter the conf. file of minidlna all is ok but when i give ls command it keeps saying that the conf. file is like this:minidlna.conf.sample
How can i make the change so the conf isn't .sample anymore but a real conf. file?
All help would be appreciated
Which version of FreeNAS are you using? Also, you can change some parameters in the GUI setup if you're good and that would be the best place to change things. And be specific about what you want to change so we can give you the most appropriate answer.

But the short answer it you are looking in the wrong place.

Status
Not open for further replies.