Setting up NFS Shares Slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

TravisT

Patron
I just maxed out my motherboard with memory to give FreeNAS every advantage I could. I'm now running 16GB... woo hoo!

So I go to setup my NFS shares for my XBMC, and when I click the "add unix (NFS) share" button on the GUI, the screen pops up but doesn't populate for sometimes a couple minutes. Then when it comes up and I add/change/delete the share, it takes a long time to close the window (often minutes). I've restarted - is there anything that I could be missing that would cause this? My NFS shares aren't working even after the dialog boxes finally close. Service is enabled under the services tab.

TravisT

Patron
Oh, and BTW, the other shares (apple, CIFS) dialog boxes open and close normally. Just NFS that is giving me trouble.

leenux_tux

Patron
TravisT,

I have both XBMC and MythTV running at home to FreeNAS "NFS" and are not seeing the issues that you see. It does take around 10 seconds for the GUI to open up the edit dialog, which seems like a long time but is not as long as what you are seeing. In the meantime, between trying to get NFS "fixed", you can access your movies/music from XBMC via CIFS and you can share the same dataset using NFS and CIFS at the same time (which is something I do for my VMWare setup).

You don't mention how your drives are setup? Are you using some sort of RAID ? How do you have your security setup for your dataset and your NFS share ?

TravisT

Patron
No RAID, pretty vanilla setup. M1015 controller with IT firmware passing the disks along to FreeNAS. Storage a 3 disk raidz pool. I'm using AD for my CIFS shares, so I have permissions setup on the root of my drives for domain/admin user, domain/admin group then I set the permissions via windows from there. For my NFS shares, they are just open at the moment.

I was able to get the shares working via NFS, but I had to share out a folder below the mount point I was trying originally. It was testing the share with VSphere Client, and while I could share out my "media" folder, when testing it would show size "0" and not display any folders when I browsed the datastore. I shared out multiple subdirectories and it seems to work on both XBMC and VMWare.

It almost seems as if there is a share for the "Media" mount point that is conflicting, but not showing up in the GUI, and it's causing the GUI to hang or something. I've shared via NFS before and had no problems, and this just recently started.

leenux_tux

Patron
Strange behavior your having with your NFS shares...

As an example from my setup.

I have a volume "/mnt/TANK/MOVIES". This is shared out via NFS (and CIFS), NFS settings..

Comment "MYTHMOVIES"
Path "/mnt/TANK/MOVIES"

When it is mounted from my mythtv box or my XBMC box I map via the standard "mount" command to the ip address:/mnt/TANK/MOVIES. No mounting to the folder/directory below.

Which version of freenas are you using ? I am on "FreeNAS-8.0.4-RELEASE-p3-x64 (11703)"

TravisT

Patron
my setup is real similar, but I have:

/mnt/tank as my volume
with datasets for Media, etc

My CIFS share is for the Media dataset
My NFS share points at the mnt/tank/Media/Movies folder.

Same setup for a software folder, which is a dataset of the /mnt/tank/ zvol

CIFS share is for the Software dataset
NFS share points to the Software dataset. That one works just fine.

I'm on 8.2 Release

peterh

Patron
I just maxed out my motherboard with memory to give FreeNAS every advantage I could. I'm now running 16GB... woo hoo!

So I go to setup my NFS shares for my XBMC, and when I click the "add unix (NFS) share" button on the GUI, the screen pops up but doesn't populate for sometimes a couple minutes. Then when it comes up and I add/change/delete the share, it takes a long time to close the window (often minutes). I've restarted - is there anything that I could be missing that would cause this? My NFS shares aren't working even after the dialog boxes finally close. Service is enabled under the services tab.
if the delay is app. 90s ( or multiple of ) it's most likley a name-resolution issue. One cient does not exist in dns or has a conflicting name ( or PTR)

TravisT

Patron
That's interesting, I'll have to look into that. Right now, I set up the share with authorized network of 172.16.0.0/16 (I have a couple 172.16.x.x/24 subnets), so I wonder if it's looking for a pointer for each /16 address or something. Does a blank entry there serve as an implied ALL, or do you have to type ALL into the block of permitted addresses?

If that's all it is, it should be easy to fix.

paleoN

Wizard
See [post=29064]NFS mount times out post #13[/post] and on.

Status
Not open for further replies.