MAIN:
xeon processor
32Gb RAM
10 x 3 TB HDD in RAIDZ2

BACKUP:
i3 processor
16GB RAM
6x 1TB HDD in RAIDZ2

i would like to backup some of my shares from the main to the backup box. i have tried setting up rsync but i cant tell if its working. can someone lend a hand. i could provide remote support session if need be.

i am currently using the main box as a vmware datastore (NFS) and some other random CIFS shares

cheers

Ozzy

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
There's no reason to use rsync. Set up ZFS replication.

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
Create a dataset on BACKUP for each dataset on MAIN that you want backed up. Make sure the datasets on MAIN have a snapshot schedule that you want. Then create a replication task per MAIN dataset to BACKUP dataset.

ozwaldca

Explorer
Create a dataset on BACKUP for each dataset on MAIN that you want backed up. Make sure the datasets on MAIN have a snapshot schedule that you want. Then create a replication task per MAIN dataset to BACKUP dataset.
thanks i wil try this. do i need a pull task on the BACKUP as well or just a PUSH on the MAIN?

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
The replication tasks only need to be setup on PUSH. There are some one-time SSH settings (public/private key setup) you need to make on both Push and Pull systems, but you only do it once, then you can setup as many replication jobs as you'd like on Push.

Sakuru

Guru

ozwaldca

Explorer
can Freenas only do one replication at a time? I got one to start and i set up my second task. the second job finished but now the first one is saying :
upload_2015-12-23_17-36-14.png

ozwaldca

Explorer
can Freenas only do one replication at a time? I got one to start and i set up my second task. the second job finished but now the first one is saying :
View attachment 9706
Forge the last post.. i just started the first job again and it worked.
I managed to copy my vm storage to the BACKUP server. but when i browse to it in VMware it appears black any ideas? If i make a CIFS shares i can see the files through windows.

ozwaldca

Explorer
i figured out my earlier issue with vmware not seeing my replicated files. i just had to recreate my NFS share and readd it to my vmware host!

ozwaldca

Explorer
Is there a way to receive an email if a replication task fails? i have been looking but i dont see an obvious place. i get the daily reports but just not the replication alerts.

Merry Christmas

Cheers

Ozzy

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
I get replication failure emails. You should too if you have email alerts set up in general.

Status
Not open for further replies.