SOLVED Server won't boot from ssd on an adapter card

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
I don't see why not as long as you don't want to boot from it.

Hexanilix

Dabbler
Alright, great. My problem with this was that I have an 8 drive bay and I wanted to use it just for storage and that ssd as a boot device. But since that's out of the question I think I'll just get another bay and hook it up to a SAS card since the adapters are picked up at least by TrueNAS

Edit:
I wanted to ask this directly on the HP Enterprise forums but I can't log in so I'll ask here. Does anyone know if a DL380 G6/G7 drive bay will work with a DL380 G8?

Last edited:

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Get an USB enclosure/adapter for your SSD. USB is only discouraged because common USB flash drives fail quickly. If you just connect a real SSD via USB, that will do fine.

Hexanilix

Dabbler
Well I tried a USB to SATA adapter but TrueNAS kept failing to install. It kept saying that the drive wasn't a block drive I think

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Didn't you say your SSD was PCIe? There are two completely different types of SSDs that both use the M.2 connector, unfortunately. PCIe/NVMe and SATA. They are not interchangeable.

What brand and model of SSD and PCIe adapter are you trying to use, exactly?

Hexanilix

Dabbler
Didn't you say your SSD was PCIe? There are two completely different types of SSDs that both use the M.2 connector, unfortunately. PCIe/NVMe and SATA. They are not interchangeable.

What brand and model of SSD and PCIe adapter are you trying to use, exactly?
I forgot to mention I was talking about hard drives. The ssd is standard NVMe

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
There are USB enclosures for NVMe that should work. Buy mail order and return if it doesn't.

Hexanilix

Dabbler
I found a solution
Very professional whatsoever
20231019_175229.jpg