Server Intermittently disappears and comes back...

Status
Not open for further replies.

lmannyr

Contributor
I have had this issue for some time now and would like to get to the bottom of it. The server intermittently disappears from Mac Finder randomly and intermittently. It doesn't matter how many of us are using the network. At times, it takes a very long time to view the contents of the folders. I think I even tried disconnecting everything except for server, 2wire box and one desktop to test. What would cause this type of issue?

Current network is:

ATT 2wire DSL modem ->APPLE Airport Extreme-> to server, 2 desktops, 3 TVs, and many wireless iDevices.

The 2wire box is DHCP. I reset the 2wire box and Airport Extreme. Airport is recently new since the old version was zapped during the last hurricane. Replacing it did not fix it. Currently switching to CABLE internet and hoping the issue is the ATT equipment (DHCP).

Looking for some guidance on diagnosing this issue. Any tests I can run?

D

dlavigne

Post the output of ifconfig within code tags. Also, is there anything in /var/log/messages around the time the server disappears?

lmannyr

Contributor
Wanted to update this thread...

My assumption was right. After switching out the 2wire DSL/Router to a new Netgear Cable Modem, and letting the Apple Airport Extreme handle DHCP, I havn't had any further server drop outs. If anything changes I'll post back. I'm calling it a bad 2wire DSL/Router box provided by ATT. Had this issue since I put the FreeNAS box up. Thats when I noticed the dropouts.

Status
Not open for further replies.