Sensor #0' had an 'Assertion Event

Apkallu

Cadet
Hi everyone,

I've been having a hard time figuering out what this error means, what the source of the problem is and how to act accordingly. To be honest I'm at a complete loss at this point. I've searched the forum, I've googled everything I could think off that could be related (Motherboard, Processor, TrueNAS) and had contact with a servercomponent retailer who sold me a lower TDP CPU, but nothing has given me an answer. The only possible relevant thing I found was an Intel troubleshoot guide for an unrelated motherboard type: System Event Log (SEL) Troubleshooting guide

I've been getting this message from my TrueNAS alerts via mail:
New alerts:

• Sensor: 'Sensor #0' had an 'Assertion Event' (Configuration Error ; OEM Event Data2 code = B2h ; OEM Event Data3 code = 00h)

When I login to my IMPI page the only thing that is listed in the event log is:

Sensor name: Unknown
Sensor type: Processor
Description: Configuration Error (DMI) - Asserted

This message first occurred about a week after swapping my CPU for a model with a lover TDP (Intel E5 2630L). Since the IMPI eventlog also mentions 'processor' I thought the lower TDP CPU would be the problem. So, I put back the old CPU (and looked for potentially bend pins) as an attempted to fix the alert/event, but the error still returns every once in a while.

I also noticed the message will almost always appear after restarting the system (a proper shutdown procedure, I'm not speaking of a power interruption). The error rarely if ever occurs while the system has been running for a while.

My system seems to be running fine, but this alert has made me cautious since I think it might result in real issues later. I'm not sure if it really is a CPU problem since placing back the good CPU didn't fix it. Could I potentially be looking at a failing RAM DIM, or even motherboard, here? Since I'm a complete server and TrueNAS novice I'd love if someone could point me into the right direction.

P.s. I hope this post is placed in the correct forum here.

alveolina

Dabbler
I see no reply yet to your issue although you only posted a couple of days ago so was wondering whethere there was some commonality here somewhere. I've just had a very similar problem, mine is clearly memory related:

Sensor: 'Sensor #1' had an 'Assertion Event' (Correctable memory error ; OEM Event Data2 code = 80h ; OEM Event Data3 code = 01h)​

It happened straight after my update to TrueNAS-SCALE-22.12.4.2 last night. The machine is a DELL Poweredge T110ii. I upgraded the RAM from 16GB (4x4GB Kingston modules) to 32GB (4x8GB Crucial modules) a couple of days before. The new modules are ECC and are 1666MHz as opposed to 1333MHz (I thought it was ok to have these running at lower speeds given that the T110ii MB can only go up to 1333MHz).
If it were the RAM, I would have expected the error to pop up after the upgrade. Instread the error appeared after the upgrade.

Straafe

Dabbler
Well, I am getting some similar events now as well, so I guess I'll bump this thread with them since I also have no idea what they mean:

• Sensor: 'Sensor #0' had an 'Assertion Event' (PCI PERR ; OEM Event Data2 code = 81h ; OEM Event Data3 code = 00h)
  • Sensor: 'Sensor #0' had an 'Assertion Event' (PCI PERR ; OEM Event Data2 code = 81h ; OEM Event Data3 code = 01h)
(logged into IPMI and I think this is the one:)
1700175495211.png

Last edited:

alveolina

Dabbler
I have an update on this. I decided to run a RAM testing though IDRAC. I didn't get reported errors. I've not had the above problems since doing the RAM testing. Maybe coincidence ...

Brand new custom built system as of this after noon. Started the transfer and came back a few hours later to this exact same error but there were over 600+ of these alerts on the dashboard.....

Straafe

Dabbler
After those two I had above I have not seen any more on my end so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

jgreco

Resident Grinch
I've been having a hard time figuering out what this error means,

It means that you have a hardware sensor of some sort, probably with a threshold, and that the sensor tripped ("asserted"). Nothing more complicated than that. It's a hardware issue, not a TrueNAS issue. Examples of assertions can be: "Someone opened the top and tripped the chassis intrusion sensor", "one of the fans is spinning below the minimum RPM limit", etc. Since it is happening at reboot, it could be something weird like if your fans spool up to full speed and exceed the maximum RPM limit or something like that.

Since this is based on the OEM's SEL data, you should reach out to the mainboard manufacturer for assistance in decoding what the meaning of the assertion is. No one here is likely to be privy to OEM SEL codes for AsRock Rack.