Self-check is not working again.

Jerren

Explorer
Ah yes that's indeed supposed to be "ahcich1", i typed it once and then copied it instead of retyping it, that's a typo.
ada1 is still my ssd yes, i was planning to unplug the ssd's and format them after i exported the HDD pool.

When i try to do zpool in the shell of the gui i don't get a response.
Went to the attached screen & KB to use the console & use the shell when typing zpool status, i also don't get a response.

After 5 minutes it just shows a fresh output line (Dec 16 16.20.56 servername zfsd: Degrade vdev(2232220053474433758/9001984713377441883) : cannot degrade 9001984713377441883: pool I/O is currently suspended. ) But obviously with updated timestamp

Last edited:

Jerren

Explorer
Trying a reboot didn't help, shutdown and reboot didn't help either.

I did a fresh install on a usb stick to see if i can import pools on there and i can! Both the HDD pool & SSD pool are visible.

So i'm gonna try and install a fresh mirror on the 2 good ssd's now and see where it takes me.

Jerren

Explorer
Ok Did a fresh install, checked if i could import the HDD pool, i could. But when i upload the old config, i can't connect to the ipadress the console shows me.

Gonna look into it more tomorrow, i might have to just do all settings over again, i'm not sure what the problem is at this point.

Jerren

Explorer
Been looking at it more today. Did a flush dns to rule that out, didn't work. Tried it over a couple times with different (older) config backups i had. I thought it might be because the config backup was made of freenas 11.3-u4.1 and the file i could download from the site is 11.3-u5. But yeah i don't have the iso for u4.1 and i don't see a place where i can download older versions.

For some reason i can't seem to upload my config and acces the system afterwards.

Think i'll install the latest truenas version and input all the settings on that, i mean if i'm gonna have to do it anyway i might aswell do it on the latest version. And i noticed freenas was now marked legacy, makes me think they want people to switch over to truenas eventually.

are you saying that after you upload your old config file to the fresh 11.3-U5 install and the server reboots you cannot connect to the IP address shown on the console after the reboot?

are you letting DHCP assign the server it's IP or does the config file have a static IP set?

Jerren

Explorer
It's a static ip but i just figured it out, what stepping outside can do ^^

Just went to look at the console and noticed 1 thing, it only shows http not https with ip adress listing. Chrome always forces https when possible so when changing that to http manually i could connect just now!

Jerren

Explorer
Just to give a quick update in case anyone ever has similar problems. My machine has run perfectly the entire time, no errors whatsoever.

So if you're looking to buy an ssd for freenas (i'm assuming truenas will be the same) don't buy an ssd that has a Silicon Motion SM2256S controller

Jerren

Explorer
Sooo on the 24th of January it started again with that error. At this point i'm thinking i should replace the sata cable or maybe use a different sata port on the motherboard for that drive. Now since i want to be safe about this.

I'm assuming i can replace the sata cable while the machine is turned off without a problem. But can i put the cable to a different sata port without a problem? Since i'm not sure if freenas looks at that.

FreeNAS/TrueNAS is very lenient to which port or controller a device is on (it doesn't care)
If we are still talking about your boot device just make sure when you change it's SATA port that the BIOS is set to boot from the correct device.

If you are still having a problem troubleshooting will have to start all over again (posting the error message, zpool status, ssd models and such)

Jerren

Explorer
Ok good to know, just replaced the SATA cable on that drive, still on the same port on the mobo for now just so i can exclude it. Now to wait and see if the error pops up again.

EDIT: I just remembered that you can start a manual scrub, so i started one and that was completed with 0 errors. I'm hoping it was just the cable but i'll post back if the errors comes back. I'll also try different port on the motherboard before posting so that step is out of the way.

Last edited: