SCALE 23.10.1 incorrectly shows interface offline under network tab

Patrick_3000

Contributor
I have an interface, enp16s0f1, which is the only physical interface in a bridge, br0, that is used to access the SCALE web UI. This interface, enp16s0f1, is always online unless something goes wrong,

I just updated to SCALE 23.10.1, and even though enp16s0f1 is online (which it clearly is because I can access the web UI), it shows as offline under the network tab. Before the upgrade, it showed online in the network tab. Now, after the upgrade, the bridge, br0, is the only interface that shows online under the network tab.

Does anyone know anything about this or whether it's expected behavior? It doesn't make sense to me that enp16s0f1 would show in SCALE as offline if it's actively sending and receiving packets, which it is. More likely, it's a bug in 23.10.1, but I wanted to see if anyone has any information.

In case it's relevant, enp16s0f1 is an SFP+ interface on an Intel x710-DA2 network card with a multimode transceiver, connected to a switch.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Exactly the same here. bond0, vlan1, vlan2 shown as online, ens224f0 and ens224f1 as offline. Intel I350 Gigabit.

yeeahnick

Dabbler
Same issue here. enp6s0f1 and enp6s0f0 which are part of bond0 show as offline but they are working according to the reporting logs as I can see traffic on both of them. What I noticed is TrueCommand is showing them online unlike TrueNAS.

The cards are Intel I350.

Patrick_3000

Contributor
I just updated my backup server to 23.10.2, and the issue is still occurring. According to the bug report page, the "fix version" is 24.04-Beta, so it looks like it will be fixed in Dragonfish.

My primary server, which not only contains my data but runs OPNsense and other VMs, is still 23.10.0.1, which is the last version where the network tab functions properly. I have purposely not updated it and will not do so until this is fixed.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
My primary server, which not only contains my data but runs OPNsense and other VMs, is still 23.10.0.1, which is the last version where the network tab functions properly. I have purposely not updated it and will not do so until this is fixed.
Why is this merely cosmetic problem more important to you than all the enhancements that went into the later versions? I cannot remember when I last looked at that network overview but for checking in the context of this thread.

Patrick_3000

Contributor
Why is this merely cosmetic problem more important to you than all the enhancements that went into the later versions? I cannot remember when I last looked at that network overview but for checking in the context of this thread.
I check the network tab once and a while to see which interfaces are online. As an alternative, I could do so using ssh and the command line (ethtool and ifconfig), but it's nice to be able to do so from the web UI.

I suppose that if there were any enhancements subsequent to 23.10.0.1 that I really found useful, I'd upgrade and work around the network tab problem by going to the command line for network status information, but I'm not aware of any such enhancements that matter to me.