Sans Digital TR5M+B: Will this work with freeNAS 8? Can't find info...

Status
Not open for further replies.

cayenne

Cadet
Hello all,

Awhile back, found what appeared to be a good deal on the sans digital TR5M+B 5 bay esata RAID unit. I bought it, and disks. It has been sitting in the corner unused.

I've come upon the freenas site and have watched the tutorials, etc, and would like to try this. I have linux experience.

I've been trying to do some preliminary research...before buying and putting together a computer to hook this too, and find VERY little info concerning the use of this TR5M+B unit.

The description from my invoice on this lists it as:

"Sans Digital 5-Bay eSATA RAID 0/1/10/5/JBOD Tower Storage Enclosure w/ 6G PCIe Card TR5M+B (Black)" I bought it from NE last year.

The included card appears to be a Rocket Raid 622 Card.

So, far, I've only really found one thread out there, that said you couldn't use it with a couple of particular controller cards...and this was version 7 of freenas.

So, wondering if version 8 will work with this unit? I'd like to load it up with 5x terabyte drives and start having some nice storage in the house.

I found this thread:

http://sourceforge.net/apps/phpbb/freenas/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=5836

So, any advice on what controller card might work with this unit? I was thinking I'd just run this unit as JBOD, and let freenas handle the "raiding" of it...with ZFS, etc....

As you can tell, I'm 100% noob...but I'm trying to do my due dilligence in research, and from searching the web and these forums, I'm not coming up with anything really pertaining to this disk unit yet.

I'd like to find if I can use this unit with freenas...before I start purchasing other hardware...if I can't..I'll look to get something directly mentioned off the hardware guides, but would like to use this since it is NIB and laying around gathering dust.

Thank you in advance,

cayenne

Status
Not open for further replies.