Sanity Check

McTechSolutions

Dabbler
Hi Guys.

I am looking for a sanity check on a Freenas build that i am putting together. Can anyone see any issues with the hardware spec?

Antec 1200 case
Antec CP-1000 PSU

Supermicro H8SGL ATX server board
1x 8-core 3.2GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) Opteron 6328
8x 8GB (64GB) PC3-10600 ECC REG

2 x ICY Box 5 Bay enclosure
2 x HP H220 HBA

8 x 6TB SATA Drives

1 x Quad Port Intel network card

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

Tigersharke

BOfH in User's clothing
Administrator
64GB RAM is good, more is always better, though with the hardware choices I cannot say what maximum is available on applicable motherboards.

Aside from that, yes you say FreeNAS but others would surely want to know what sort of use it will be put toward, and what sort of expectation do you have for it. If you were buying your hardware direct through iXsystems, they would want to know fairly detailed what sort of purpose your hardware would be for, what it must be capable of doing, then they could either design something specific to your needs or point at something that would suit them best. Same story here, for building your own.

McTechSolutions

Dabbler
Thanks for the reply. So my freenas system will be used like this. I plan on using it for Plex movie storage, To store data such as PDF , documents , music. I am also planning on having a mirror drive setup with iSCSI to my VMware server and for it to house around 5 to 6 VM's.

McTechSolutions

Dabbler
actually i am looking at this now. Updated the spec in my first post

1x 8-core 3.2GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) Opteron 6328, 115W

Tigersharke

BOfH in User's clothing
Administrator
Others will know much more than me, I would be looking at resources here such as building guides or hardware lists. The item I mentioned is the only obvious one (to me) that I could say anything about off the top of my head, all I can do is give links to information I might have to look at as my own reference. I wish you eventual success.