SOLVED Samba: smbd processes using all available CPU, not responsive, don't react to signals

Status
Not open for further replies.

fsfsfs

Dabbler
Turned it off for now. I will see how long I get by by running the sync once a day or so.

fsfsfs

Dabbler
I'd say this is unrelated to the btsync jail:

I have a new 100% CPU smbd process since yesterday 6PM without the btsync jail running. Also I haven't started the btsync jail manually. I was planning to sync once a day, but haven't done this so far.

fsfsfs

Dabbler
Is there a best practice way of installing a package with debug symbols on freenas?

I am really curious what smbd is doing there.

fsfsfs

Dabbler
Sorry for not being very responsive - my vacation started on Tuesday.

About debug.txg: Can I install this file additionally to my current OS using the Manual Upgrade button in the web UI? Or will it overwrite everything? Will it restart the NAS? Sorry for these plain questions - I couldn't find this info on the web and since I'm logging in from quite remote now... I'd rather not kill the system

Can you send a sig 6, generate a core for the smbd and send it to me via pm

You got it. Thank you again!

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Sorry for not being very responsive - my vacation started on Tuesday.

About debug.txg: Can I install this file additionally to my current OS using the Manual Upgrade button in the web UI? Or will it overwrite everything? Will it restart the NAS? Sorry for these plain questions - I couldn't find this info on the web and since I'm logging in from quite remote now... I'd rather not kill the system

You can put the same version of FN in a VM, copy the debugging symbols txg file, extract it, copy the core file, then use the debugging symbols for smbd to investigate the core.

fsfsfs

Dabbler
Splendid idea, thanks for sharing! I can't do that ATM :( Time constraints and I don't have a capable machine at home.

Err. I just saw that it's a .txz file. I misread or misspelled it and didn't even understand it till now. I can just extract it on the NAS box itself. Sorry for being slow (it's hot here, lol)

I don't know the internals of smbd as you do, but with that I can also play around a little :)

fsfsfs

Dabbler
*bump* Back from my summer holiday :)

Could you see anything in that core dump, @anodos ?

I'll update to 11.1-U6 tonight, maybe upstream has already fixed this issue.

fsfsfs

Dabbler
Have been running 11.1-U6 now for a few days without this issue :)

The only hiccup, most probably unrelated: our Linux clients couldn't connect in the beginning because of some protocol mismatch. Took me a while to find out adding
Code:
client max protocol = SMB3_10
to their /etc/samba/smb.conf's
Code:
[global]
section resolved that.

Will test some more for a week or so and then mark as solved.

Last edited:

fsfsfs

Dabbler
11.1-U6 running stable for a full week now, seems the update resolved this issue. Don't know how though? Nevermind, marking as solved.

Thank you again @anodos @ewhac and everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.