Samba share with root user

Eysiox

Dabbler
Hello, my DIY server works with True Nas-12.0-U1.1

No access to root files SMB trying to enable "Samba Authencation" message : " Password must be changed in order to enable SMB authentication" after changing password next message is :"This attribute cannot be changed" Is it one more bug?

Attachments

• 1.PNG
    1.PNG
    15.3 KB · Views: 585
  • 2.PNG
    2.PNG
    13.5 KB · Views: 617

LarsR

Guru
Since 12.0 Root has no longer acces to smb shares. create a new user with the right permissions and reconnect your share.

Eysiox

Dabbler
Since 12.0 Root has no longer acces to smb shares. create a new user with the right permissions and reconnect your share.

Ok I didn't know thank you. What are the right permissions for the user to access /root? (same permissions of root user)

Eysiox

Dabbler
root has read write and execute rights, those need to be set on the shared data set not the user.
this is a very good tutorial video that explains everything https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-5jbDTCsOE

I have done as on the video.I am connected to the share with the right user I can create or delete folders in the "Iocage" file but not in the rest. However, the option "apply permission recursively" is enabled.

Explanation video: https://youtu.be/8a3D7Ivmu-M

I went from freenas to truenas and since then I have some problems like Windows Share where I can't get access to all the root files. I hesitate to reset the nas plus I have to add ssd's and remove hhd's in another pool soon.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    11.8 KB · Views: 575
Last edited:

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
If you mess with the permissions of the iocage dataset(s) via Samba you surely will destroy your jails/plugins. You should create a separate dataset for Samba filesharing. If you need to acces or modify individual files in your jails, use SSH for that, not Samba.

Eysiox

Dabbler
[QUOTE = "Patrick M. Hausen, message: 629451, membre: 34727"]
Si vous jouez avec les autorisations du ou des ensembles de données iocage via Samba, vous détruirez sûrement vos jails / plugins. Vous devez créer un ensemble de données distinct pour le partage de fichiers Samba. Si vous avez besoin d'accéder ou de modifier des fichiers individuels dans vos prisons, utilisez SSH pour cela, pas Samba.
[/CITATION]

I've been using this technique for 1 year without any problem, it's more practical. So there is no way to put that the user of "eysiox" has the same rights as "Root" because with Smb "eysiox" can do almost nothing, it has no authorizations.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Use Samba as root to modify files in jails - probably works but you run into danger to get wrong access rights for some files, i.e. leave them too open. Your choice, I would not recommend it.
Use Samba as another user would imply: either change the owner of those files to this user, or open the files's write permission. Both will destroy your jails.

There's always SFTP and e.g. Filezilla if you only want an "explorer like" interface with root access.

Eysiox

Dabbler
[QUOTE = "Patrick M. Hausen, message: 629458, membre: 34727"]
Utilisez Samba en tant que root pour modifier les fichiers dans les prisons - cela fonctionne probablement mais vous courez le risque d'obtenir de mauvais droits d'accès pour certains fichiers, c'est-à-dire de les laisser trop ouverts. Votre choix, je ne le recommanderais pas.
Utilisez Samba comme un autre utilisateur l’impliquerait: soit changez le propriétaire de ces fichiers pour cet utilisateur, soit l’autorisation d’écriture des fichiers. Les deux détruiront vos prisons.
Il y a toujours SFTP et par exemple Filezilla si vous voulez seulement une interface de type "explorateur" avec accès root.
[/CITATION]

It worked perfectly with freenas we can no longer with truenas why this choice.
Do you have a tutorial for using Zilia Wired FTP?

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Last edited:

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer

Dan Tudora

Patron
hello
you can try WINSCP
work with SSH/sftp very well
with ACL and unix permission
and have a nice interface
just try

Eysiox

Dabbler
Bonjour
vous pouvez essayer WINSCP
fonctionne très bien avec SSH / sftp
avec autorisation ACL et unix
et avoir une belle interface
essaie juste

I'm thinking of using the "Add a network location" option proposed by Windows in ftp. But it tells me password incorect

Last edited by a moderator:

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
SFTP and FTP are two different things. Stick to Filezilla or WinSCP. WinSCP is another program you will easily find with a search engine.
And please stop posting in French in this English-only forum. There's a French sub-forum for your language.

Eysiox

Dabbler
SFTP and FTP are two different things. Stick to Filezilla or WinSCP. WinSCP is another program you will easily find with a search engine.
And please stop posting in French in this English-only forum. There's a French sub-forum for your language.

I used "Winscp" that's all I needed, thanks to all of you.