S.M.A.R.T Short test failed

T.J.Hammer

Dabbler
I think you have been given a lot of great advice and you probably know this. It looks to me like this drive has served you well with over 41,000 hours of runtime. The only obvious errors I see is 5 Raw Read Errors and the big one is it will not pass a Short SMART test. I suspect the head positioning is out of whack or maybe the motor speed is not stable, and that is not factual data I could prove, just what I think I understand about hard drives and the data being reported. All we know for certain is the drive is failing and you know that already.

If you keep the drive (I highly recommend you replace the drive as soon as you can order a replacement), I recommend a daily SMART Short test and a weekly SMART Long/Extended test.
If a drive fails something, you must assess what the failure is and determine if the drive needs to be replaced. For example an UDMA_CRC_ERROR is often a loose of bad SATA cable, not the hard drive, but the drive reports the issue.

Will this happen again? You bet it will. The hard drives in a system should be considered 'Consumable' items. They have a limited life expectancy and the manufacturers tell you with the warranty they provide. Most 3 year warranty drives will last about 5 years with proper care, some longer, some much shorter. A hard drive are something you can bet you will need to replace eventually.

As for if this drive is SMR... If this drive has been part of your ZFS pool for quite a while without issue, then it is likely not an SMR drive. That isn't a very scientific approach but it's all I got.
this disks had served years on other machines in a business that went out, I got the system for around 300$ I don't really know how and for what it was used to but it was a great price so I cant really say anything.
This disks are all SMR and not CMR so I am now ordering new 6 X 8TB red pro CMR disks and it will be here in two weeks or so.

I guess there is a lot more to learn about it and what started as "my wife taking 1000 photos of our child every single hour so I don't have a choice" became a really demanding project.

I would like to say thank you for every single one of you that took the time to help and answer my question and share your knowledge with me, this is not at all an easy task and I am highly appreciate every single one of you!
thank you so much!