Running from CD

Status
Not open for further replies.

vtrasikis

Cadet
I was reading an article in PCWORLD about what to do with an old PC and in there it states to use it as a server and there suggestion is to use FREENAS. In there they state that you can run it from the CD to get an idea if you really want it. I did download the "livecd" and I try to run it, but there is no option to run, just install. Did I download the wrong flavor ????

Any help would be appreciated.

pauldonovan

Explorer
I was reading an article in PCWORLD about what to do with an old PC and in there it states to use it as a server and there suggestion is to use FREENAS. In there they state that you can run it from the CD to get an idea if you really want it. I did download the "livecd" and I try to run it, but there is no option to run, just install. Did I download the wrong flavor ????

Any help would be appreciated.

The magazine was talking about previous versions of FreeNAS, eg. FreeNAS 0.72. FreeNAS 8 does not support running from a CD.

audix

Dabbler
Paul, it is very, very easy to install ver 8 on an usb-stick. If you have access to a 1+ GB USB memory stick you can test out the newest version if you like. Afterwards, just put it in a pc and format it back to fat32 (or whatever).

Status
Not open for further replies.