Rollback vs. recommended procedure

Status
Not open for further replies.

calgarychris

Contributor
Hi,

With little to no sleep last night I pulled a bonehead manoeuvre and managed to delete much of my data by deleting a user in owncloud that had access to the data. I have regular hourly snapshots (and to be honest the data changes only very rarely). I have read the recommended procedure of cloning the snapshot and copying across the files, however I have a question. Specifically, I have 1TB of space left in total and more than 1TB of data to restore - meaning that when the user was deleted, I guess the files ended up in the equivalent of a recycle bin? Does cloning a snapshot use storage?

I don't mind manually restoring the data, as per recommended, but would I be better to do a rollback and deleting the few snapshots taken since the event?

Assistance greatly appreciated!

Cheers

Dusan

Guru
Specifically, I have 1TB of space left in total and more than 1TB of data to restore - meaning that when the user was deleted, I guess the files ended up in the equivalent of a recycle bin? Does cloning a snapshot use storage?

I don't mind manually restoring the data, as per recommended, but would I be better to do a rollback and deleting the few snapshots taken since the event?
Cloning a snapshot does not use storage (it actually does, but very little), however copying the data out of the clone would consume storage. Even moving instead of copying would not help. The rollback seems to be the best option in your case.

calgarychris

Contributor
Thanks Dusan,

Yay for snapshots - everything went smoothly, other than it's somehow screwed up my CNID db for AFP shares. No matter, that's secondary, I'll just use smb.

Thanks for the recommendation

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.