Restored from backup, no network connectivity

file_haver

Explorer
Hi everyone,

I did a config backup earlier tonight before upgrading my freenas to the latest version, and later breaking connectivity by accident forcing me to reinstall.

I reinstalled to my USB drive, logged into the webgui and uploaded my configuration.

Now when I boot it up I get "Please check network configuration." So i press 1 to configure network interfaces and my main interface (em0) doesn't show up. I know the machine is able to see it because it tries to give em0 an address at bootup before it gets to the Console Setup screen.

What can I do here to at least get back into my pools to save my files?

Thanks in advance.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Intel i5 4590T
That is not the correct processor for
SuperMicro X10SLQ-L
This is a major release:
Freenas 11.2-release
The software version would look like this: FreeNAS-11.2-U2.1

Details matter.

Still, the easy thing to do is simply roll back to your previous working installation. Should be easy to select it as active from the menu, if you didn't wipe your boot media when you 'reinstalled'....

https://www.ixsystems.com/documentation/freenas/11.2/system.html#boot-environments

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
PS. As long as you don't do anything to your data disks, you data is safe, it is just a matter of getting your system configuration straight so you can access it.

Don't panic.

Last edited:

file_haver

Explorer
Thanks for your quick reply. It would be FreeNAS-11.2-U2.1, although the backup was done on FreeNAS 11.2-U2. I apologize that I forgot to specify my version further and will be fixing my signature to reflect it.

Unfortunately, i did already rewrite my boot media, since i forgot rolling back is an option. The good news is i didn't have to do anything to get into my pools just fine, so all my data's safe, it's just i need to get it to see em0 again.

To make things even stranger, I went through the bootlog (piped dmesg -a to a text file) and i can see that it actually does bring up em0 and set it to the right address during boot, however after the boot process finishes em0 disappears somehow!

Last edited:

file_haver

Explorer
Update, after some time apart from the NAS i decided to try and manually configure the other interface on the X10SLQ-L motherboard, even though it wouldn't reset from the console setup screen.

I was then able to access the Web GUI as normal, but Plex is still not working.

I'm leaving everything alone for the time being until i'm certain i can either re-import both my pools after resetting the FreeNAS configuration, or get a second NAS machine running here to move all my files to...

file_haver

Explorer
Apologies for bumping this again - i have my machine working on a different NIC with a static IP for the time being while I await the delivery of some new hard drives so I can set up a backup FreeNAS box.

While it isn't terribly pressing to figure this out, I haven't been able to figure out why the NIC em0 is seen by FreeNAS during boot yet is unavailable to the OS by the time boot has completed. If anyone has an idea why this may be, please let me know. If it makes a difference, em0 was set to get an address via DHCP at boot prior to my backing up the configuration.

Aside from this bizarre confusion with the disappearing em0 I have not had any other issues with my FreeNAS since restoring from my config backup over a fresh install of 11.2-u2.1.

Apollo

Wizard
I think your problem might be caused by your iocage Jails using VNet.
One thing you can try is to access CLI from main console, best to do it over SSH but you may not have this capability.
Through console, I would shut down all the running jails with the folowing commands:

iocage stop -all I think.
Then under console, reset your network config by wiping it's settings. Then restart by creating it again using DHCP.
You should then be able to reconnect to the web GUI.
If this works, edit the jails VNET and set it to 0 or disabled. Then if successful restart the jails you want to be runnig and see how things work.
You may want to reboot at some point if not quite successfull as reboot will cause initialization and DHCP queries to be requested.

file_haver

Explorer
I think your problem might be caused by your iocage Jails using VNet.
One thing you can try is to access CLI from main console, best to do it over SSH but you may not have this capability.
Through console, I would shut down all the running jails with the folowing commands:

iocage stop -all I think.
Then under console, reset your network config by wiping it's settings. Then restart by creating it again using DHCP.
You should then be able to reconnect to the web GUI.
If this works, edit the jails VNET and set it to 0 or disabled. Then if successful restart the jails you want to be runnig and see how things work.
You may want to reboot at some point if not quite successfull as reboot will cause initialization and DHCP queries to be requested.

You were absolutely correct!!!!! I've followed what you done and em0 came back! You have my thanks.

(edit: Just for the record, it's iocage stop ALL as opposed to -all.)

Last edited:

Apollo

Wizard
Glad it worked. Keep an eye on iocage jails, especially when stopping or restarting them as they might cause loss of connectivit with the GUI.

Apollo

Wizard
You were absolutely correct!!!!! I've followed what you done and em0 came back! You have my thanks.

(edit: Just for the record, it's iocage stop ALL as opposed to -all.)
Thanks for correcting me.