Restore snapshots - GUI

How many mothers does Cyberjock have in his pockets currently?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

BloodyIron

Contributor
Hi Folks,

Did some labbing yesterday, and uhh, I found something that doesn't make sense to me.

When I use the GUI to restore to a snapshot... why can I ONLY choose to roll back to the newest snapshot? I know that I can delete newer snapshots and restore earlier... but I see scenarios where that is not desirable.

Even still, if the older snapshots HAVE to be deleted, why can't we have that button there to make the task convenient in terms of deleting the newer snapshots to roll back? This just all seems like an unnecessary constraint.

My preference, though, would be to roll back without deleting the newer snapshots. This way, I can roll forward too, if I rolled back too much.

So, what's the deal guys? Do I need to open a ticket for requesting a change, or...? Please advise!

BloodyIron

Contributor
I'm aware of the cloning thing, but there are some scenarios I want to rollback instead. So... that doesn't really answer my question :p

Also, I know that I can kick to the CLI and pull data manually out of the snapshots (by copying). Which is part of why I am curious why the behaviour is like this currently (GUI-centric).

Rollback usually isn't what you want and you can clone any available snapshot. See the Note in http://doc.freenas.org/11/storage.html#snapshots.

Status
Not open for further replies.