SOLVED Resilvering issue/rebooting and HDD read error

NugentS

MVP
IF you can import the pool, then yes it will recover the jails. If not then no (obviously)

You can attach the NVMe to the boot pool as a mirror, then remove the mSATA and change the BIOS to boot from the NVMe

Azdimi

Dabbler
You can attach the NVMe to the boot pool as a mirror, then remove the mSATA and change the BIOS to boot from the NVMe
I hope I can do it while the resilvering.

Ok I will receiv the new HDD tomorrow, apply all of your advices and give some news.

thank you

joeschmuck

Old Man
I hope I can do it while the resilvering.
What is the hurry to do this? Your system is operating fine right now and it is resilvering. Let it finish. Once it is completed, then work on the boot drive. There is no need to work on it right now.

NugentS

MVP
Cos he's been resilvering for 20+days and it keeps failing

joeschmuck

Old Man
I guess I'm missing the big picture here. What does the boot drive have to do with the resilvering? Two seperate things and the boot device isn't really an issue, it was a recommendation to move it to free up a SATA port. I thought the failing hard drive was the issue and shouldn't that be fixed first? It was placed on order a few days ago, hopefully to show up today. I'd replace the suspect drive and then finished the resilvering before doing anything with the boot drive. Once your pool is in a normal state, then work on the boot drive change. Just my two cents.

NugentS

MVP
The boot drive is a side issue, other than moving it to a non-sata port.
It all depends on whether the resilver actually works with the new drive or not. If it does then yes wait for the resilver to finish. If it doesn't then probably give up on the pool and rebuild the nAS - its at the rebuild stage that the OP was asking about.

Azdimi

Dabbler
Hello,
Some news:

Ok so I received my new HDD (and stressed it) I put it on a free sata slot (on the sata extension board). Because I can't put my ada3 offline I tryed to Replace without "offlining" it. It seemed working the replacing begin but every 45 minutes resilver restart... All is shown as Online and not degraded. I think that the resilvering is working a bit despite it restart because I can pull out the ada3 without loosing my pool...

So now, because it's seems not working I will try to export/disconnect pool, pull out the failed drive, reconstruct new RAIDZ1 and import the pool.
Something else to try before?

NugentS

MVP
You should consider Z2 instead - its a lot safer than Z1. Of course it means less disk space

Azdimi

Dabbler
Yes it's the problem with Z2... Yesterday I exported succesfuly my pool and now I have to import it. ;) give some news later

Azdimi

Dabbler
Ok I tried this...
  • replacing without offline the failed disk
  • Resilvering restart... seams fail then restart...
  • Export/Disconnect the pool
  • Pull out the failed disk
  • Import the pool back --> Error due to the missing of the failed disk
  • Dispite of this error resilvering reached 100% but with only 90GB resilvered ^^
  • If the nas restart the resilver too
My question: Is there a way to restore the Pool configuration only? I could destroy this deficient pool, rebuild it by selecting Drive and RAID type etc and import the configuration without data. I want to save the pool configuration (hierarchy/permissions/folder conf etc) but not the data. After that I will paste all my backed up data on the NAS. Is it possible?

thank you

Last edited:

NugentS

MVP
Not that I am aware of

joeschmuck

Old Man
I want to save the pool configuration (hierarchy/permissions/folder conf etc) but not the data.
Same here, not that I am aware either. All you can save is basic setup configuration and your users/groups.

Azdimi

Dabbler
Hello there!

Finally here is some news and now I think i should close the thread.
I loose my RAIDZ1.
I replace the msata boot drive by an UBS nvme one. Upgrade to TN 12.0. I rebuild my RAID as RAIDZ2 as you suggest. I redone all my datasets/permission and jail/plugin configuration. I reimport all my data I backed up. And now, after 7 years of duty I will upgrade the hardware. I will updrage the mobo to get more sata (at least 10 sata ports), better CPU like XEON E5-26xx v3 or v4 and more RAM. 10 sata because I will set a mirror of 2x8TB HDD for a personnal cloud, another mirror (SSD) for system and keep my RAIDZ2 for media and data storage.

So thank you for your advices and see you soon ;)

Azdimi

NugentS

MVP
Good luck.
At least it survived long enough for you to backup the data, although you will have lost the jails I guess
The upgrade, in principle, sounds sensible as it will involve server grade gear with a decent number of PCIe lanes = decent number of PCIe slots.