Reseller of IT-Flashed LSI-2008 cards, SAS expanders, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

averyfreeman

Contributor
Hey,

I met this dude on ebay buying a high-profile bracket for my SLG3-2E4 and he's super nice, he's got some great stuff in his store in case anyone is looking for LSI-2008 based cards, SAS expanders, brackets for SAS cards (also fit my U.2 HBA).

I love that he went through all the trouble to flash the cards to IT for everyone ahead of time, too. That's love right there! I was pretty impressed so I thought I'd pass his info along.

averyfreeman

Contributor
Thats called commerce not love.
His prices are average to slightly above average, by flashing it to IT firmware he can ask more for the same card.

Not really a great deal, not a bad deal either.

Thank you for your thoughtful analysis. It's true, people don't sell stuff to go broke.

I figured a lot of DIYers like myself might need a bracket for an LP card, though, and people who aren't so DIY might want a card that's already flashed IT. Having gone through the experience a couple times, I can attest that the documents for flashing IT are confusing, the right firmware can be difficult to find, often the card won't flash if you use one platform or another (e.g. EFI flash software vs DOS) and it's all just a rather unpleasant experience. Seems like a valuable service to me :)

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
As long as you are not trying to sneak in promoting your own services I am perfectly fine with that endorsement of yours. There's always a fine line to watch and we as a forum community should not let that kind of posting go rampant. But I trust the moderators' judgement and as long as you are just reporting a particularly satisfying experience with a certain seller ... go for it.

I mentioned my trustworthy suppliers here and there, too.

hescominsoon

Patron
I use the dude known as art of server myself...:)

Evertb1

Guru
use the dude known as art of server myself...:)
I known the guy. I stumbled over his youtube channel a couple of times when I was looking for information. Like how to flash a hba to IT mode ;-)

ejn1111

Dabbler

SecCon

Contributor
hmm, seems ok but shipping costs have to be added for me... like 20-30% on top of price.

dingodude

Cadet
Long time lurker, I created an account just to share how nice of a guy TechDude10 is.

I ordered an LSI-9207-8i from him a couple weeks ago. As soon as I ordered I realized that he's selling HP branded ones (i know they're the same I don't care ) my other nodes have genuine LSI and I want them all to be exactly the same.

The reason I thought it was LSI and not HP was because his listings started with LSI and then had (HP) in parens later.. kind of the opposite of most branded equipment I see on eBay. So I cancel and this guy is just goes off, over multiple messages for two days. I had to call eBay and have him blocked.

Highly suggest ordering from someone that doesn't completely suck. And for reference, the way he "taught me a lesson" was to buy an item I had for sale with no intention of actually buying it. This guy is a child, avoid at all costs.

Screen Shot 2021-03-04 at 10.14.26 PM.png

SecCon

Contributor
Well, we don't know the full story or how this became a reason for him to write to you in such a manner, but it sure ain't nice regardless.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
For all who understand German - or something almost but not quite entirely different from German :smile:

dingodude

Cadet
I don't understand german but I think it's funny that I hear eBay a bunch and I think I understand the premise.

And it's true, you don't know how it escalated, but I'm not making it up, I said that I thought it was kind of suspect/shifty that he was starting the title with it being an LSI and not an HP, that's all. I find in life that any time I call someone out for doing something wrong, and they know they are, that's when they're the most defensive. And that's what happened here.

I was actually worried this guy was going to come to my home because he had my address. He's a real psycho imho but take it as you will.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Well, it *is* an LSI, because LSI is the OEM for the HP controllers, and may even have built them for HP. Just sayin'.

dingodude

Cadet
If you think there are no manufacturing differences between retail versions of products and OEM, you're incorrect. But again, it's just my opinion, and it's also my right as a buyer to prefer the retail version.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
If you think there are no manufacturing differences between retail versions of products and OEM, you're incorrect. But again, it's just my opinion, and it's also my right as a buyer to prefer the retail version.

Don't be insulting, please. I wrote one of the oldest stickies on these forums talking about LSI cards and their variants.

The point was that you seem to be arguing a little bit that because the card was labeled as an "LSI", that you expected to get a LSI retail card, even though there was an "(HP)" later in the title. There isn't anything wrong with what the seller did in that respect, because it's an HP-branded LSI card. For the purposes of FreeNAS, an OEM LSI card that has been crossflashed is generally indistinguishable from the retail LSI product. The connector and board layouts and who actually manufactured the board may of course be somewhat different.

dingodude

Cadet
I'm not arguing at all, or being insulting. I'm just disagreeing and you're taking it personally.

The branding, connectors, board layouts, and your extreme knowledge of the subject are completely irrelevant because it is up to the buyer to decide what to purchase, and even if they're identical it's my choice to buy it or not. It's also the seller's responsibility to list that clearly, and that wasn't done.

I wouldn't PERSONALLY buy an HP one for the same reason that I won't buy electronics marketed on Black Friday, they're made cheaper purposefully and I prefer to err on the side of caution. And that is my choice. And all of this is even further irrelevant because I had, and exercised my right to cancel the order on eBay. The only thing unacceptable is his defensive, and abusive reaction and continued harassment.

dingodude

Cadet
So you think there is no usage difference between an HP branded card pulled from a working server, and a new retail card?

dingodude

Cadet
You don't need to answer that. You're not wrong at all, and it was a tiny thing that blew out of proportion. I was just pointing out a bad experience I had and trying to give a warning to anyone that might deal with him in the future.

ornias

Wizard
LoL, this is so funny... some rando comparing HPE with HP consumer crap on black friday :')

You know, somewhere I start to see why you guys got a falling out...

Status
Not open for further replies.