Repurposing HP Proliant DL160 for FreeNAS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken Schannen

Cadet
I have access to a 1u HP Proliant DL160 Gen 6

Specs:

2 x hex core 2.66 ghz (12mb) Xeon X5650 procs
64 GB RAM
Smart Array P410 1GB FBWC 0-60 controller
I'd put 15K disks in it.

Anyone see any problems using this for FreeNAS? Is the controller OK?

I'd use it as storage for a home lab ESXi and HyperV environment. (A combo of Dell 1950 hosts and HP DL380 hosts.) I want good performance, but this is still just home lab stuff. Not production.

Thanks.

Ken Schannen

Cadet
OK, thanks. From what I'm reading the only way to set that controller up for FreeNAS would be to set each disk up as Raid0, and that doesn't sound like what I want to do.

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about
OK, thanks. From what I'm reading the only way to set that controller up for FreeNAS would be to set each disk up as Raid0, and that doesn't sound like what I want to do.
Yeah, avoid doing that at all costs... FreeNAS needs direct access to the disks. :)

MtK

Patron
Search the forum, there should be a relatively old thread about replacing the p410.

On a non-freenas system I do have an HP dl380 running ZFS with the nit so nice raid0 and it's been running OK for more than 2 years now...

TiberioG

Cadet
You can typically find a HBA for about $45 on ebay that will work perfectly for your config. Here are a couple examples: Dell PERC H200 or Dell PERC H310

Edit: Just a reminder, if you get a HBA to flash it to IT mode with P20 firmware.

Hi there,
I'm also going to buy a HP DL160 G6 server and it would be my first FreeNAS Build, I know is not recommended using hardware RAID with ZFS so I'm looking for an HBA card for that server. This server has a B110i on-board SATA controller and I'm wondering if it will work. Since I have never flashed a card is it possible to buy a card which works out of the box?
On this post
https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/hp-proliant-dl160-g6-for-freenas.16134/
I have read that HP DL160 could not work with FreeNAS, is it true? I don't want to spend more then 400€ to get a server which doesn't work.
Thank you in advance,
Tiberio

Last edited by a moderator:

Mlovelace

Guru
I don't think the B110i is going to be compatible, you'll want to attach the drives through a Host Bus Adapter (HBA). There are several described in the hardware sticky to choose from.

Status
Not open for further replies.