Replication error emails, but no errors in GUI

Status
Not open for further replies.

nojohnny101

Wizard
I'm having some odd behavior recently with replication between two FreeNAS boxes (see sig for details).

I have been getting almost daily alerts via email with a wide range of replication errors. Some samples:

Replication tank/family -> domain.duckdns.org:tank-backup/replicate failed: Failed: packet_write_wait: Connection to 24.210.163.79 port 1345: Broken pipe
and
Replication tank/nader -> domain.duckdns.org:tank-backup/replicate failed: Failed: ssh: Could not resolve hostname domain.duckdns.org: hostname nor servname provided, or not known
and
Replication tank/nader -> domain.duckdns.org:tank-backup/replicate failed: Failed: Connection timed out during banner exchange

Some observations:
- When I check the GUI the next morning (replication occurs overnight), the "status" area for all my replication tasks says "up-to-date".
- These errors are not specific to a replication task as I have gotten different errors on just about all my replication tasks (I have about 5-6 different ones setup).
- I have manually verified the snapshots are successfully replicating by checking the more machine and browsing the snapshots. They all match up.

My thoughts:
What I suspect happening is that the replication is initially failing over the WAN on its first try because of network problems (internet dropping out). As I understand replication, the task is retried later and then succeeded but not before the errors are sent out.
It is just weird that I have never had this problem before, that it has just started recently with no changes to setup, and that it has been happening consistently for about a week now.

This this be just a crap period for the ISP on either end? Thanks for any help.

nojohnny101

Wizard
No one?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Well, your speculation is as good as ours. Crap connection seems to be your problem.

Don't you hate intermittent problems?

nojohnny101

Wizard
Thanks, I just wanted to post to make sure I wasn't missing anything, always helps to talk it out loud and then get a separate set of eyes.

Don't you hate intermittent problems?
The worse kind! "The best friend of any problem solver is consistency."

Status
Not open for further replies.