Replacing Disk

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have one drive starting to report bad sectors, so I need to swap it...

I have identified it, and taken it offline. My pool dropped to a degraded state as it should, but my glorious "hot spare" is just sitting there showing "available".

If I click the "replace" button on my offline disk, nothing happens, so what is the next step? Shouldn't the point of having setup a spare mean it just takes over the disk when I offlined the failing one?

Thanks!

Would be awesome if there was a user guide available that describes the process or a resource written on how to do these kinds of things.

I always appreciate sarcasm... LOL. I was more concerned with why the spare isn't doing anything? Is the process the same. Should I (now that I shut down) pull the disk? I need to send in the RMA and await the replacement, which is why I opted for a spare available...

Then power up and select the spare as a replacement, as in your guide?

It seems I'm misunderstanding the "hot spare". I rebooted, and it now shows "in use" and is resilvering. I thought a hot spare just took over when a disk went down.

So once reilvering is done, I'll pull the failing disk and mail it in...

Resilvering is done, and it appears everything is back to the way it was. I have a spare saying "available", and the old failing ADA1 (verified serial number is the same) shows it's back online???

Doing a scrub now...

Status
Not open for further replies.