Replace hdd with new ssd on Single disk system

Ellston

Cadet
I have a simple setup for a home NAS on an old laptop. I am running TrueNAS 13.0-u6 and it is running fine. My dilemma is that I was just trying it out and the best HDD I have is a 1tb usb connected hdd. But now that I have it working I want to replace that hdd with a 2tb ssd. Most of the threads here concern replacing a single disk of a raid system. I just want to be able to easily pull the old hdd out and install the new one. Can I just plug in the new ssd and save a screen shot or replicate the old data pool over to the new drive? The old drive is set up with ZFS because I just followed a youTube video on setting it all up. I don't have any real complicated needs and there is no striping or mirroring. Just data storage among several devices and I am using Syncthing for.. well syncing. Any simple solutions?

danb35

Hall of Famer
Plug in the new drive, replace the old with the new using the GUI (instructions in the docs), remove the old one when done.

There's a whole lot wrong with your system, but replacing a drive should still be straightforward.

Ellston

Cadet
Yeah, I know there is a whole lot wrong with it, but I already had the laptop and as I said, it's not an enterprise solution it's just a mom and pop solution. And thanks for the reply. I had already read that in another thread. I looked at the GUI but I didn't see anything that said replace old with new. Does that come up when the new SSD is installed? I don't have it yet. I will supposedly get it Monday the 4th of March.

Ellston

Cadet
So can I use the replace feature when there is only one disk? Do I need to take the old disk offline or do I just plug in the new disk and use the replace feature? I mean, the new disk must have to have the old disk from which to copy all the data to the new disk right? That may sound like a stupid question but sometimes these things aren't all that straight forward.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

sretalla