SOLVED Replace bad disks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris Dill

Contributor
I am on 11.2 Beta, and I am getting disk errors but not showing degraded: http://prntscr.com/kx84lg

Should I replace the disk, or is there something else to do? I am getting alert emails about this.

I have disks with which to replace. If that is the correct path, how do I do it? RAIDZ2: http://prntscr.com/kx84wm

Stux

MVP
If they’re in warranty, you should rma.

If not the decision is trickier. Do some research on “unreadable pending sectors”

Chris Dill

Contributor
They are not under warranty, they are 5 years old. I either need to replace (in which case what's the best way to do in 11.2?) Or fix through some sort of ZFS wizardry.

Stux

MVP
They are not under warranty, they are 5 years old. I either need to replace (in which case what's the best way to do in 11.2?) Or fix through some sort of ZFS wizardry.

You can fix pending sectors by rewriting them. Again do some searching.

But 5 year old drives are due for replacement any way

Chris Dill

Contributor
You can fix pending sectors by rewriting them. Again do some searching.

But 5 year old drives are due for replacement any way

Yeah, which is what the post was about. I would love to replace a drive, but the instructions on the FreeNAS guide do not show the same things that my 11.2 shows. i was wondering if someone could point me to, or describe, a walkthrough to replace a failed hard drive.

I apologize if this request was confusing in the OP.

kdragon75

Wizard

Chris Dill

Contributor

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer

Chris Dill

Contributor
Lol! Well actually. I was pretty in tune with the freenas community when I was Building Systems 3 or 4 years ago. But since then it just sits and I don't work on it unless there's a problem. So I logged in the system and saw that there is an update to the 11.2 stable. So I clicked into it and looked and and the language at the top of the post said that it was ready for production testing. I did not really read the fact that it was a beta.

So I clicked that upgrade button.

The reason I haven't gone backwards and downgraded is that it works. I haven't had any additional problems with the new system that I didn't already have. the only real problem is that most of the Forum post and documentation are for older systems so sometimes I have to switch back to the Legacy up.

So it was unintentional but now that I'm here, I'm here.

kdragon75

Wizard
Another victim....

Status
Not open for further replies.