Remove unavailable disk that was replaced in Zpool

Status
Not open for further replies.

toddah

Dabbler
I have a 4 disk raidZ2 array that I had a disk physically fail in. I replaced the disk with a new similar disk and it did a resilver and I now show 4 disks online again but a Zpool status also shows a unavailable disk with a ling number 671323o391581799468 Unavailable was /dev/ada1p2/old. I have another disk ada1p2 marked as online. just above the ada1p2 unavailable disk it says replacing followed by degraded.
How do I get rid of the "phantom" OLD disk and return my array to running normal?
I see 4 disks online but I have this old disk listed also. I have rebooted a number of times and did a scrub volume and another reboot but it still hangs in there. I am sure it is some stupid user mistake but I cannot seem to find it.
Can anyone help me out?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
You should check out the FreeNAS manual on disk replacement.. you didn't do the last step. :)

toddah

Dabbler
Cyberjock,
Thank you for your kind reply. I have been scouring the manual for days and obviously I cannot not find your reference in the manual. I do IT for a living but this is something that has stumped me for days now and I made it through the entire process reading the manuals. but if you only reply is RTFM then I guess I am way below your Leet status and cannot possible be worth a simple syntax bit of code to help me out. Sorry to have wasted your time with such a stupid question...
Thank you again for your informative answer..

cyberjock

Inactive Account

toddah

Dabbler
Thank you for the assist.
I am running 8.02,
If the replaced disk continues to be listed after resilvering is complete, click its entry and use the “Detach” button to remove the disk from the list.
In my case the disk is not listed in the GUI just the 4 disks that are running and listed as online.
If I do Zpool status in the GUI under the storage button
HomeNas
/mnt/HomeNas

I get "sorry an error has occurred"

If I do a zpool status in the shell that is where I see the drives all listed with the original replacing and unavailable listed.
For some reason in the GUI I cannot seem to get to DETACH as an option.
PS:
I had read that portion and because of the GUI issue I went looking for another way out of the dilemma

And I do appreciate your assistance and the reference to the procedure.
Thanks!

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Yeah.. you should have upgraded like 2 years ago. Those instructions apply to 9.2 because I figure anyone in the forums would be using a somewhat recent version of FreeNAS. :P

toddah

Dabbler
Sorry it has been running like a watch and I was planning on upgrading disks and increasing capacity but then this disk failure turned up. I do promise after I get this disk replaced and my array back from degraded status I will be upgrading to the latest stable release.
I should have mentioned my version in my first posting, sorry..

toddah

Dabbler
I finally found the proper syntax to remove the phantom disk
zpool detach HomeNas 6713230391581799468 from the shell and it was gone.
I hope this can help someone else having the same issue trying to do simple removal of a phantom left after replacing a dead disk..

Status
Not open for further replies.