Recursive Jails, i e a jail within an existing jail, is that OK in FreeNAS or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

n3mmr

Explorer
I'm considering adding a number of jails to my freeNAS box.

These jails would each support a single app: Minimserver (extremely metadata savvy DLNA server for audio) in one, Datacrow in another and a cloud server of my own design in a third jail.

Now, all these apps need java so, why install java in each one??

Either java gets installed in the FreeNAS top environment ( in which case all jails will see java, right??? ) or in each special jail. The latter seems like a waste.

But cluttering up the FreeNAS top environment seems like something to avoid.

FreeBSD seems to be able to set up a parent jail and sub jails, where all software needed by all sub jails is installed in the parent jail.

Can that be done in FreeNAS? I can't seem to find a way in the mgmt gui at least.

joeschmuck

Old Man
I doubt that if you installed Java in the FreeNAS top environment that the jails would see it. Kind of defeats what a jail is don't you think. I think you will be installing java into each jail if that is what you need for the application within a jail.

I doubt that if you installed Java in the FreeNAS top environment that the jails would see it. Kind of defeats what a jail is don't you think. I think you will be installing java into each jail if that is what you need for the application within a jail.
Agreed. +1

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
This question comes up a lot---"why do I need to repeat xxxxx in each jail" where xxxxx is the ports tree, or java, or whatever.

An honest Google search should bring up several ideas people have had. But ultimately, what normally winds up happening in the real world, is most users install Java in each jail they need it.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
...or you could install all your java-based apps in a single jail...
Yes of course. I made an assumption that the OP had his reasons for not wanting to do that.

OP, you can certainly install many applications in a single jail. My jails contain, on average, 4-7 things apiece that I've installed in them.

n3mmr

Explorer
Several apps in a single jail is the answer. Thanks.

Last edited:

rogerh

Guru
Can I just ask, from a position of ignorance, in what common circumstances does one need more than one jail? Just hoping to avoid pitfalls, if I can discover their possible form in advance!

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Can I just ask, from a position of ignorance, in what common circumstances does one need more than one jail? Just hoping to avoid pitfalls, if I can discover their possible form in advance!
To separate roles and functions. Modularity of jobs.

I have a jail for downloading stuff
I have a jail for crash plan
I have a jail for Plex
If any one of these services stops functioning, I can bring it offline to fix and not affect the others.

joeschmuck

Old Man
One other option if the OP doesn't want to manually install java and other software loads multiple times is to make their own template with all the software installed, then when they create a new jail, all the stuff will be there. I did something like that when I was messing around with BONIC for SetiAtHome and several other projects. It wasn't perfect but then again I was creating an Ubuntu jail, not FreeBSD.

Although, if it's only a few jails, I'd save the time and manually install it in each jail.

n3mmr

Explorer
Actually, I can't really think of too many pieces of software that presents a problem with repeat installs. Java is special since there is no readymade package for FreeBSD anywhere.
Although I think openjdk should be OK to redistribute.

Basically you compile everything and uncle Bob and all his dependencies.

Takes a lot of time.

Maybe I just need to learn how to make my own packages for FreeBSD?

Status
Not open for further replies.