Recovery (hopefully) help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ed Furlong

Cadet
I am having some problems with my setup. I pretty sure it's gone but I'm trying everything first to try and get the data back. I'm running hardware RAID0 across 4 hard drives. Before I could get the data on them and backed up, I started having problems accessing the drives. Currently the hardware RAID card is seeing all of the drives and the array is active but my pool is not loading. During boot I get a bunch of errors about bad sectors on one of the drives and I get a "Secondary GPT table is corrupt, using primary."

I've tried gpart recovery but it says recovery is not needed.

Not sure where to go from here. Is there any hope or should I just blow it away and accept that I'm an idiot for using RAID0 without backing the data up properly?

Thanks!

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Well, you are an idiot for using RAID0 without backing up your data.

You are potentially an idiot for using a hardware RAID too.

So the questions I have to ask is "What else did you do wrong?"

Generally if people get one thing wrong either they knew going in or the got almost everything wrong.

If you got several things wrong, you have almost no chance of getting your data back.

Ed Furlong

Cadet
Other than these two, I don't think I got anything else wrong. This system was up and running fine for a while and then I decided to rebuild to get more space (was running RAID5 and switched to RAID0). Everything was working and then I had the failure.

To answer your question though, I'm not sure. I don't think I did anything else wrong.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Yeah, that's the problem. Most people don't know what they did wrong until they realize the F'ed up.

First though, there is no RAID0 or RAID5 for ZFS. There is "striped arrays" and RAIDZ1. If you continue to use RAID0 and RAID5 people will assume you used a hardware array. If you actually did use a hardware RAID, you can probably give up right now. Hardware RAID = bad. It's in the beginning of the manual and you can never know what hardware RAID controllers may have done to your pool.

Can you post your hardware specs?

Knowltey

Patron
What the hell you doin' runnin' RAID0 in a NAS son!?

FYI Raid0 was basically made for performance applications, not for data storage applications. RAID0 is something you use on your gaming PC, not your NAS. Using a single disk for storage in a NAS is an all around better idea than using a RAID0 in one.

Ed Furlong

Cadet
Thanks for the input. I'm just going to call this a lost cause. I knew going into it that RAID0 was a bad idea but I was going for speed. I'll wipe and rebuild with software RAID in FreeNAS.

Thanks

joeschmuck

Old Man
When you say you were going for speed, what kind of speed were you looking for? Faster throughput, faster random access, what? I'm just curious what your thinking was. Someone might even give you a suggestion of what would be a good setup. But do not use a hardware RAID.

Status
Not open for further replies.