Recover Data from previous FreeNAS drives?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, so I put together a FreeNAS box and broke several rules along the way.
The drives started to have errors, then the boot device failed.
I'm in the process of building a "sanctioned hardware" FreeNas box (mobo arrives Monday! WooHoo!). Thread Here.
And planning to follow the rules/guidelines going forward. Anyway, moving on...

Since everything went down hill a few weeks ago, the original box has been off/unplugged and occasionally noticed from the corner of my eye with a bit of disdain.
Anyway, I want to recover any of the files that I can from the old drives.
I was using 2 3TB drives RAIDZ1 and FreeNAS 9.2.1.3
Unfortunately, the only config file I have is from 8.3.0 (Believe I backed up the config when I upgraded to 9.2)
I am expecting to use FreeNAS 9.10 (possibility of Corral, but I haven't really put much thought into that decision yet).
What is my process to attempt to recover the data?

Do I put my new box together and once I confirm POST, connect the old drives to it using 9.10, import the old config
and then copy any files I can to an external drive? Then proceed with the hardware burn in, memtest, drive tests etc?

Or should I be doing all the hardware testing before I do ANYTHING else?

Also, is there some sticky post somewhere that gives a walkthrough on what needs to be done for connecting the old drives,
importing etc?

Are there any issues between 8.3/9.2.1.3 and 9.10 and drive recognition? Or importing 8.3 config files?

I have plenty of questions, but I'll start with those.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
No sir, here's what I would do.

Download 9.2.1.3 again.

Install it to your new boot devices. You should be able to easily "auto-mount" your pools in the GUI, no problem. Once your pools are mounted, and I believe this is true on 9.2.1.3 (don't quote me, it's certainly true on 9.10), the database is backed up on there. Mine at least are automatically in /var/db/system/configs-XXXXXXX

Then, import that config file.

Then, perform a standard upgrade of the system.

If you don't have a config? Then no big deal. You can configure it again probably. If you had jails, set the jail root to the right place, and it should just pick up.

Everything should be fine.

I'm attempting to install 9.2.1.3, but I am hitting the mountroot error.
I found the thread with the workaround, but it didn't take.

Can I install a later version of FreeNAS maybe that doesn't have that mountroot error?
Though, I have to think that this mountroot error has nothing to do with FreeNAS version being installed.
Ugh

Status
Not open for further replies.