Recommendations for File Server - Small Business with about 20 users

sravi123

Cadet
Hi,

For a small business, we need to setup a file server. There are about 20-25 users. Planned storage capacity is 4 TB, with raid mirror. Down the line we would like to add another set of 4-6 TB drives.

We have a Xigmanas File server that has been running a few years with 2 TB capacity, which we are close to exhausting it. I read about FreeNas and TrueNas and considering to get our new file server with Truenas. I need some help with recommendations on processor, mother board, ram, hard drives and anything else that I may have missed.
  • Processor - should an Intel i3 10th gen processor be ok, or should I consider Xeon processor - as in Dell Poweredge T40
  • A mother board with ability to add 6 SATA drives - if I should be careful to pick any specific model/type
  • RAM - Should 8 GB be ok or should I consider 16 GB ? Should it be ECC ?
  • Hard drives - since there will a good number of users, should a 4 TB disk with 5400 rpm be ok or should I consider disks with 7200 rpm. There are different models from seagate ironwolf, ironwolf pro, Western Digital - RED NAS drives, gold and blue drives. Lot of options available, I am not sure which way to go.
  • We have Hikvision IP cameras. If it would be possible to add cameras and record we would also consider do it in this server down the line.
  • Anything else that I should take into consideration
Would really appreciate any thoughts on the above.

Thanks.

GBillR

Contributor