Recommendation for first home NAS please

Status
Not open for further replies.

biggyk

Contributor
How will I go about installing the unifi controller?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

biggyk

Contributor
Also, based on my current needs, would it be silly to go with 1150 haswell to save a few bucks?

Dice

Wizard

joeschmuck

Old Man
Another thing to consider if you are building this box yourself is the case you plan to use. Air flow for cooling is very important, don't forget that. Most older CPUs generate more heat for the same workload. Also, the most expensive item in the setup is the hard drives for most people. These are expected to fail after ~3 years (most last longer, my drives just past the 4.5 year mark of operation and that is full time spinning) but it's money that you know you will need to spend again. The motherboard, CPU, RAM, PS, and Case are items you expect to last 10+ years (well I do). Make these a good purchase because you will live with them for a long time. If you try to bargain shop for these items and cut corners like getting a lesser CPU, you may hate yourself later. Try to figure out exactly what you want to do with this box and buy the parts so you can achieve this.

Dice

Wizard
They key metric motivating the upgrade is RAM capacity. The X10 (haswell etc) are limited to 32GB. Skylake X11 doubles that which is really significant.
Get 16GB sticks while at it. At some point, you'll be grateful you've not populated precious RAM slots with smaller sticks. (I know that feeling all too well. Hence 48GB RAM atm).

biggyk

Contributor
Is there going to be a unfi controller container with freenas11? Its the only thing that makes me second guess freenas because I dont want issues trying to install it on freenas.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Is there going to be a unfi controller container with freenas11?
You could always install it in a Linux VM; that's pretty straightforward. Set up an Ubuntu Server VM, a couple apt-get install commands, and you're pretty much done.

Status
Not open for further replies.