Recommendable USB thumb drives for freenas-boot pool?

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Hi, guys,

bad luck today - my two mirrored system drives failed on the same day leaving the system completely broken. All data on the storage pool is of course intact.

I had used these drives:
https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00LFVISSY/

Investigating I found that they were awfully hot. I removed them and plugged them in a stock FreeBSD system to check - nothing but CAM timeouts.

Apart from "don't" ... any advice? I reinstalled on my internal SSD but that's a 240 GB PCIe card. Quite a waste just for the boot pool. Why does FreeNAS use the entire drive and not just, say, 16 GB of it leaving the rest usable for other purposes?

I used to buy "industrial grade" compact flash for my Soekris devices, never had one fail. Are there similar USB flash drives around?

Thanks,
Patrick

danb35

Hall of Famer
Why does FreeNAS use the entire drive and not just, say, 16 GB of it leaving the rest usable for other purposes?
The devs would have a more definite answer, but I expect the reason is historical--FreeNAS (even back in the 0.7 days) has always run on small flash devices, and until pretty recently it wouldn't be cost-effective to buy an oversized device. And to a degree, there's a benefit to using an oversized device (as @wblock often points out) due to wear leveling.

MrToddsFriends

Documentation Browser
Recommendable USB thumb drives for freenas-boot pool?

Before I switched to a mirror of two SanDisk X300s SSDs (64GB) for freenas-boot I used a mirror of two SanDisk UltraFit USB3.0 USB flash drives (SDCZ43-016G-G46, 16GB). Without any problem for around two years (maybe I was just lucky), no excessive heat ever noticed, system dataset of course not located on freenas-boot.

wblock

Documentation Engineer
If you don't want them to get hot, don't use USB 3 drives. Some melt. The one I found that was good even in USB 3 mode was a Lexar S75. Other models got burning hot, and there were reports of some melting.

An SSD is the right device for a boot drive. Long-term cheaper and more reliable than a couple of high-quality USB sticks.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
I ordered a couple of Sandisk Cruzer Fit, the USB 2.0 variant, to give USB one more try.

Indeed I installed a couple of FreeNAS systems for friends. The HP Microserver line features an USB socket inside the system - I always used this and haven't received any complaints, yet. Seems to be the 3.0 sticks that run too hot.

As for the SSD - yes, but there is no room for another cheap SATA SSD in my chassis and wasting a 240 GB PCIe card ...

Thanks,
Patrick

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
I have used 2 mirrored cruzer fits for 4 years now with zero problems. I also move my system dataset and rrd to my pool and off the USB.

kskreider

Dabbler
I had a mirrored pool of 32GB 3.0 Cruzer Fits for about a year and a half and one just failed. I accidentally re-ordered the 16GB 2.0 and cannot get it to work if my life depended on it. (Yes, I connected to the 2.0 jacks on the back my mobo instead of 3.0 on the front). I even tried the installer on a bootable CD and I just couldn't get anything to see the drives in the installation destination window.

I am just going to get another 32GB 3.0 Cruzer Fit and mirror my good one. Hopefully that works.