recommend SAS/SATA controller for 6tb drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

nzero

Dabbler
I have a 16bay norco case, every 4 drives it has a SAS connector. I tried to use a SAS to 4x SATA cable to connect direct to asRock C2750D4I motherboard sata ports, however the BIOS+Freenas did not detect the drives. When connecting drives direct to motherboard using SATA to SATA it works and motherboard detects.

I have 8x 6TB HGST drives, no raid. I would like to still utilize the case's SAS connector on the hot-swappable drive bays, so iam wondering what are some supported PCIE SAS/SATA controllers that can support 8x 6tb drives through 2x SAS connectors?

thanks

craigdt

Explorer
The 16bay norco case you mention, is it the one with the SFF-8087 connectors ?

If so, you will need to make sure you are using cables that go from SATA to SFF-8087 and not the other way round.

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast

kskreider

Dabbler
That cable in your link is backwards. You will see in the 4th review on that product the comment that it is the FORWARD cable. What you need is the reverse breakout cable.

I have the Norco 4224 with the same kind SAS backplanes and I run two of the 4 SATA > SFF-8087 reverse breakouts to connect my Supermicro X10SRi-F to my 8, 6TB drives across 2 4-drive backplanes.

nzero

Dabbler
ok thanks so much for the quick replies. will order reverse breakout cable right away. hopefully it works. thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.