Reclaiming Plex sever? new issue (file structure)

Sykotik

Dabbler
A little while back I set up Truenas scale on an old HP elite desk PC , set up Plex but for some reason it just wouldn't work , so deleted TN and install Synology DSM . which i used for a little as well but decided to give TNscale an other try
using a jank pc ( few parts i have laid around ) i managed to get plex working great i thought !!!!
so going back to the HP elite desk PC i installed TNscale along with Plex ....................... but im getting a message along the lines of reclaiming the sever!!!
how do i reclaim my sever back for plex ?
Please :(

LarsR

Guru
you have to create a plex claim token at plex.tv/claim. While creating the app there should be a field for the plex claim token.
Keep in Mind that the token is only valid for 5 minutes before it expires.

Sykotik

Dabbler
Thanks , i'll give this a try in the morning , turned it off for the night , before i chuck the PC out of the window LOL

Sykotik

Dabbler
This worked thank you

Sykotik

Dabbler
Iv managed to get Movies up and running how ever i can't get ,tv shows working,
i can't see if i'v done anything different than on "movies" may some one can notice where iv gone wrong.
tvshowsdataset.png

host path in Plex
tvshows.jpeg

this is the same file structure as i used in the Synology DSM so is it different in Truenas ?

LarsR

Guru
The File structure doesn't really Matter, but permissions do Matter. If Plex cant See the Media, it's Most likely Missing permissions on that Dataset

Sykotik

Dabbler
I must of went through the permissions a dozen times yesterday,
Even to the point where I deleted the dataset and starting all over again.
But couldn't get the "tvshows" dataset to work
In the end , I made a folder called the " last of us" with in the movies folder, and point plex-tvshows to that folder and it worked straight away.

Sykotik

Dabbler
One thing I did notice is the tvshows dataset was owned by "root" , where as the movie isn't!!!
Any idea why this would be ?
I made both datasets exactly the same.

Bainnor

Dabbler
One thing I did notice is the tvshows dataset was owned by "root" , where as the movie isn't!!!
Any idea why this would be ?
I made both datasets exactly the same.
I suspect when you installed Plex, you set up Movies as the initial dataset, and then went to add the TvShows afterwards. Many apps will claim ownership of the datasets they use on install to ensure permissions are set correctly for the app. You can confirm by checking if Movies is owned by apps. If this is the case, the likely solution to Plex being unable to see TvShows is that you need to update the permissions/ownership of TvShows to match that of Movies.

In my setup I've arranged my plex libraries as branches off the Media dataset, so whenever I need to update ownership of new directories I can update Media and set the permissions recursively to all my Plex libraries simultaneously.