BUILD Rebuilding/expanding server - need advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

subz3ro

Cadet
So I'm currently running a Thinkserver TS140 with 5x3tb WD Reds in Raid-Z1. I am starting to get to the point where I need more cpu power and disk space. Since I already have 5 drives, I figured I could just add on 3 more. Then I will end up getting larger capacity drives in the future when needed. I also want to use Raid-Z2 for the extra redundancy.

I already have 2 16gb sandisk usb sticks for the os and one 16gb crucial memory kit. Here is what I'm thinking for the parts list.

Mobo - SUPERMICRO MBD-X10SL7-F-O
Cpu - Xeon E3-1231v3
Ram - 16GB 2x8GB Crucial CT2KIT102472BD160B 4x8GB for 32GB total
Psu - EVGA 550W G2 Gold
Case - Node 804

I already bought the psu for $50 after MIR and the cpu. Any recommendations on a cpu cooler that will fit inside the node 804 nicely? To use 8 drives on the x10sl7, I would need to plug in 6 drives into the sata ports and the other 2 into the sas ports, correct? Is it just plug and play? Is there an opitmal/correct way to do it? Also, I figure cable management is going to be a pain for all those drives. Anyone have any recommendations on how to plug in all those drives in the 804?

Last edited:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Any recommendations on a cpu cooler that will fit inside the node 804 nicely?
What's wrong with the stock cooler?

To use 8 drives on the x10sl7, I would need to plug in 6 drives into the sata ports and the other 2 into the sas ports, correct?
Any combination you'd like.

Is it just plug and play?
Well, you do need to flash the SAS 2308 controller to the correct version. FreeNAS 9.3.1 uses P20.

subz3ro

Cadet
What's wrong with the stock cooler?

Any combination you'd like.

Well, you do need to flash the SAS 2308 controller to the correct version. FreeNAS 9.3.1 uses P20.

There's nothing wrong with the stock cooler, but I can't sell the TS 140 without it.

Thanks for clarifying. Anyone have any recommendations on how to easily plug in all the drives in the 804?

bmcclure937

Contributor
There's nothing wrong with the stock cooler, but I can't sell the TS 140 without it.

Thanks for clarifying. Anyone have any recommendations on how to easily plug in all the drives in the 804?

How have you liked your TS 140? I am in the market for a new FreeNAS. Looking for a cheap option.

I saw you were able to run 5x3TB WD drives. Did the case handle all of these drives OK?

subz3ro

Cadet
How have you liked your TS 140? I am in the market for a new FreeNAS. Looking for a cheap option.

I saw you were able to run 5x3TB WD drives. Did the case handle all of these drives OK?

The ts140 is amazing for the price. I had to remove the cd drive in order to fit the 5th drive but it worked out fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.