Realtek RTL8111E compatibility

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know if Realtek RTL8111E is compatible with FreeNAS/FreeBSD?

I plan to use the ASUS P8H67-M PRO B3 Sandy Bridge motherboard for my NAS build, but I'm not sure if the network controller is compatible.

ctantra

Dabbler
RTL8111E will be perfectly compatible with FreeNAS. My Biostar TA880GB+ has it onboard and it works flawlessly with FreeNAS v8.01 BETA4. I got 75-85MB/s read write across home gigabit LAN.

Ah Thank you so much :D

That should mean that there's no problems using the ASUS P8H67-M PRO B3 Sandy Bridge motherboard for a NAS build.

Llama

Cadet
Ah Thank you so much :D

That should mean that there's no problems using the ASUS P8H67-M PRO B3 Sandy Bridge motherboard for a NAS build.

What he said was that the network controller is ok.
It says nothing about the actual chipset and other busses that might need drivers. I don’t know how sensitive this issue might be but I’m guessing that for optimal throughput all chips must have some support.
I’m also looking at this mobo, but I’m not sure if it’s a good one. Like some people in here say it’s better to avoid newer hardware since the driver development and integration is a bit behind.

tropic

Dabbler
I'll vouch for the board. It ran FreeNAS 8.0.1b4 fine for a small law firm for two weeks without incident. No watchdog timeouts with the RTL8111E, no issues mixing 3 GB/s and 6GB/s SATA ports, etc. It was coupled with a Core i5-2500K and 8 GB of Kingston slowpoke DDR3. Eventually replaced by a Tyan Toledo q35T / C2Q Q9300 and repurposed as a law clerk's workstation.

Just a basic motherboard that does what it's supposed to.

Status
Not open for further replies.