Re-install to upgrade to TrueNAS core 12?

nedhedrick

Cadet
I am currently running TrueNAS-12.0-RC1, using a SANDisk USB flash for the boot drive. This flash drive has been showing signs of problems lately, occasionally going offine and responding very slowing during reboot. I would like to use a more robust SSD as the system drive. Can simply install the new TrueNAS core 12 production image on a new SSD, then restore the configuration backed up from the previous image, rather than executing the normal upgrade process? This would eliminate some "wear and tear" on the old flash drive and reduce the exposure to a total failure of the flash drive.

All opinions are welcomed! Thanks in advance!

Ned Hedrick

Alecmascot

Guru
That would work, but if you have enough ports you can plug in the SSD and then mirror the boot drive to it and then when the resilver is complete remove the flash drive. Then you can upgrade via the GUi.

nedhedrick

Cadet
Update/Solved. Backed up configuration from old system. Then I did a full, new install of TrueNAS core 12 to the new SSD. then restored the backup configuration to the newly installed system. After a couple of reboots that were apparently part of the process, everything has been working just fine. Says a lot for the robust-ness of TrueNAS!