Raidz1 Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beachman

Cadet
Hello,
I am new to Freenas so I had a question about how I setup my Raidz1. I have 6 5tb drives, and wanted the ability in the future to add more drives but not 6 at a time. So to do this, I believe i made 2 Raidz1 vdevs in my zpool which consist of 3 drives each. This hsould allow any one vdev the ability to lose a single drive for me to replace. The picture below is how its setup. Am I correct in what i stated based off the picture? Essentially I want to be able to get 3 more drives to make another vdev to add to the zpool. Is this possible?

http://imgur.com/a/eCCse
eCCse

Thanks,
Beachman

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Hello,
I am new to Freenas so I had a question about how I setup my Raidz1. I have 6 5tb drives, and wanted the ability in the future to add more drives but not 6 at a time. So to do this, I believe i made 2 Raidz1 vdevs in my zpool which consist of 3 drives each. This hsould allow any one vdev the ability to lose a single drive for me to replace. The picture below is how its setup. Am I correct in what i stated based off the picture? Essentially I want to be able to get 3 more drives to make another vdev to add to the zpool. Is this possible?

http://imgur.com/a/eCCse
eCCse

Thanks,
Beachman
Yes what you described is what you have.

melloa

Wizard

melloa

Wizard

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Sometimes we just give up warning people...it gets tiring saying the same things over and over.
Agreed, it's talked about in a couple hundred thousand threads. I done bringing it up.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Beachman

Cadet
I saw everything mentioning it, but i didn't want to create a 6disk raidz2 pool since i wanted the ability to expand the pool in smaller increments of 6 drives at a time. I have plenty of backups in two offsite locations so the data isn't very critical. Eventually if i get 6 more drives sometime, I will probably make it a raidz2.

Last edited:

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
I have plenty of backups in two offsite locations so the data isn't very critical.
Fair enough.
Eventually if i get 6 more drives sometime, I will probably make it a raidz2.
Just be aware, switching from 3-drive RAIDZ1 vdevs to n-drive RAIDZ2 vdevs means destroying and rebuilding the pool.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
I personally don't like using RAID-Z with any drives larger than 3TB. The problem with the 5TB size, though, is it appears to be on the chopping block. You can't even find 5TB reds now in some places, and the pricepoint is never good. I feel the future consists entirely of even numbered drive capacities.

Status
Not open for further replies.