RAIDZ1 One drive no activity

ropeguru

Dabbler
I have a RAIDZ1 pool setup with 8 3TB drives in it. All the drives are showing as "ONLINE" in the pool, but while copying data over to the pool, I am only see 7 drives active.

What could I be missing?

Hardware Info:

• Motherboard make and model - Supermicro X9DAX-HFT
  • CPU make and model - Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2620
  • RAM quantity - 196GB
  • Hard drives, quantity, model numbers, and RAID configuration, including boot drives
    • 5 14TB WD Red, WDC_WD140EFFX-68VBXN0, setup in RAIDZ1
    • 8 3TB WD Red, WDC_WD30EFRX-68EUZN0, setup in RAIDZ1
    • INTEL_SSDSC2CT240A4 SSD boot
  • Hard disk controllers - LSI SAS2008 PCI-Express Fusion-MPT SAS-2
  • Network cards - 2 x Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82599ES 10-Gigabit SFI/SFP+

Last edited:

ChrisRJ

Wizard
How did you determine that 1 drive does not show any activity?

As to your setup, a RAIDZ1 with 8 drives is generally considered somewhat risky. The relatively low capacity of your drives likely reduces that, relative to e.g. 12+ TB drives, but still.

Please also check the forum rules (link in red at the top of the page) what amount of details on hardware should be provided to make it easier for others to provide help. Thanks!

ropeguru

Dabbler
How did you determine that 1 drive does not show any activity?

As to your setup, a RAIDZ1 with 8 drives is generally considered somewhat risky. The relatively low capacity of your drives likely reduces that, relative to e.g. 12+ TB drives, but still.

Please also check the forum rules (link in red at the top of the page) what amount of details on hardware should be provided to make it easier for others to provide help. Thanks!
Apologies, I will provide the additional in the original post.

I am looking at the activity lights on the front of the server. It is a SuperMicro 3U chassis with 16 hot swap drive bays..

ropeguru

Dabbler
So digging further, which I should have done to begin with, it looks like it may be an issue with the activity LED or some other part of that circuitry.

Looking in TrueNAS at the activity for the 8 3TB drives, I am seeing disk IO on all 8 of them.

Apologies for the noise..

ChrisRJ

Wizard
No worries and great that the "mystery" could be solved so quickly. If you want, you can mark this thread as solved ;-)