SOLVED Raidz-1 Pool will not import - One or more devices missing from system

Status
Not open for further replies.

dexbot

Dabbler
Well I tested again with Ubuntu Live CD. All drives completed a Long SMART SCAN with 0 errors on the disks. I have no idea why for the life of me the disks show as Unavailable in Freenas. I guess my only option will be to detach the pool and see if I can reattach it. Whether or not this will cause complete data loss is no big deal at this point. I simply need to start spending time getting the system back online. I have backups for the data, but a 20Tb file transfer will take a while.

My concern is that this will happen again and I will be in the same boat. Anyone have any ideas what could cause the disks to go offline? Can I force them back online?

Thanks

dexbot

Dabbler
Good news! I have successfully recovered the volume.

I was actually able to do all the steps needed in with the web interface. Here are the steps I used to get the volume back online.

1. I DETACHED the failing volume. The system then showed no volumes.
  2. I then clicked "Import Volume" and selected all of the drives that where originally in the volume. In this case, all six 8Tb drives.
  3. I then clicked Unencrypt Drives and hit next
  4. I was then prompted to enter by encryption key and password
  5. Then on the final screen I was able to select the 'Main' volume which is the name I used for the volume.
After about 4 or five nail biting minutes the import was successful!
k7njomV.jpg

Thanks for the help

pro lamer

Guru
THIS ISSUE HAS BEEN RESOLVED! Please see the update in my last post
Grats. You can use thread title 'solved' prefix so it will be seen in threads list.

And are you considering moving to raidz2?

Sent from my mobile phone

dexbot

Dabbler
Grats. You can use thread title 'solved' prefix so it will be seen in threads list.

And are you considering moving to raidz2?

Sent from my mobile phone

I guess I will have too. I really didn't want to have to use 2 parity drives with only 6 drives total. But I guess that is what has to be done.

By using this calculator https://wintelguy.com/zfs-calc.pl I see that I should have about 22Tb usable space. Which is roughly HALF the total drive space (I have six 8Tb drives). This is of course accounting for 2 parity drives, slop space, and leaving 20% free for performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.