Quiet-ish drive shelves

ajv

Cadet
My current truenas box is an aging SC 846 with a dated and flakey SAS1(?) backplane. Rather than replace it outright, I'm thinking of moving the disks to external drive shelves. Past experience suggests that the most intractable problem finding one will be noise -- in particular, power supply noise. I can replace or disconnect case fans easily enough, or control their speed via ipmi or whatever; the same is not true of (most?) PSU's, and they tend to 1. sound like jet engines, and 2. not be replaceable by something that does not sound like a jet engine. I don't need a silent setup, but it does need to be quiet enough to not cut through the door of the closet it will live in.

Other desiderata: I need at least 12x2.5" and 12x3.5" hotswap bays (not necessarily in the same unit; I've given up on finding anything that does both without expensive and annoying adapters). More is better for futureproofing (and more space might make cooling less of an issue). I prefer rackmount units, but can deal with alternatives as long as they can sit flat on something else in the rack.

Can anyone suggest something suiting this project?