Questions on maintaining jails

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vayu Puthran

Cadet
I have several jails for crashplan, plex etc. After a year or so of building jails from scratch, I finally follow the instructions in this thread and created a jail template. It worked well. I have a few questions on maintaining jails:

1. If I update my jail template, does it impact jails already created with the template?
2. If I update FreeNAS version, do I have to update/rebuild the jails in order to get the same updates within the jail? I don't want to miss any security updates. Instructions on FreeBSD jails seem to indicate that, jails need to be patched separately.
3. I'd appreciate if experienced users could share best practices/tips on maintaining jails and keeping them up-to-date

D

dlavigne

1. No, only newly created jails.

2. Be careful if you update from 9.3.x to 9.10 as the ABI changed (meaning you have to recreate jails if you plan on updating them).

Vayu Puthran

Cadet
2. Be careful if you update from 9.3.x to 9.10 as the ABI changed (meaning you have to recreate jails if you plan on updating them).

Thank you! For #2, If I stay within the 9.3-STABLE train in an update, do I need to update the each jail separately from the base in order to get the latest security fixes in my jail? I'm hoping that I only have to update my packages in jail whenever I need it and not worry about updating OS related files in the jails.

Status
Not open for further replies.