Questions on external SAS JBOD enclosures

Exhorder

Explorer
Hi,

got a few questions about external SAS JBOD enclosures:
  1. I guess it is absolutely mandatory to NOT create pools over enclosure boundaries. Otherwise a power failure of the enclosure or an accidentally removed SAS plug would destroy the pool?
  2. What happens to a pool located completely inside of the enclosure when power failure/plug removal happens?
  3. If my TrueNAS is connected via 10G ethernet to the network, is there any need to have higher bandwith than SAS 12G to the enclosure?

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
I guess it is absolutely mandatory to NOT create pools over enclosure boundaries. Otherwise a power failure of the enclosure or an accidentally removed SAS plug would destroy the pool?
Perhaps take the pool offline, but not necessarily destroy it. If the system is properly maintained and powered, it should be considered more-or-less the same as internal storage.

What happens to a pool located completely inside of the enclosure when power failure/plug removal happens?
That pool is offline/unavailable... depending on technical points, maybe consistent or not, but should be intact if returned to power.

If my TrueNAS is connected via 10G ethernet to the network, is there any need to have higher bandwith than SAS 12G to the enclosure?
The two things are unrelated (mostly).

Many factors control how quickly you can get data in or out of your pool. The SAS backplane is a potential bottleneck in the case of all NVME drives, but if you're in that direction and attach enough of them, you're probably already considering faster NICs.