Question about new PC build and setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jesse

Cadet
I am building a new PC to act as my home media server. I plan on creating a UFS volume and mirror two WD red 4TB drives, mirror two Seagate Barracuda 3TB drives, and mirror two WD low power 2TB drives. I am using off the shelf parts with non-ecc ram. Does each mirror array need to be ZFS, or can it be setup as UFS? I do not need anything complicated, just some form of redundancy. BTW, I have 8 gigs of ram along with a 120gig SSD as the boot drive. Again, I do not need any fancy snap shot or any of the features that are built into FreeNas.

warri

Guru
You can setup UFS RAID 1 to mirror the disks.
Btw, FreeNAS renders all extra space on the install disk useless and gets loaded to RAM anyway. Don't waste your SSD on this, use a cheap 4 GB USB thumb drive instead.

Jesse

Cadet
OK, Thank you. I see you only have 4 gigs in your system. How has that been working for you?

warri

Guru
Performance is not overwhelming, the system starts getting into trouble (stuttering video) when two high-bitrate 1080p Movies are streamed simultaneously. But for my use case it is currently acceptable. But I'm planning to migrate to server-grade hardware and more RAM next year.

Yatti420

Wizard
I would have more RAM in both setups.. As much as you can.. ZFS loves ram..

Status
Not open for further replies.