QNAP TL-D800S 8-Bay JBOD Enclosure

SwisherSweet

Contributor
Hi folks,

I am looking at adding a desktop JBOD enclosure to expand storage. I found that QNAP has several (4, 8, and 18 drive) options, each including an expansion card. Here's the 16 bay, for example:

Says it supports Windows and Linux. It's my understanding that TrueNAS Scale is built on Linux, so does anyone see any reason this should not work with TrueNAS Scale? Assume that I have a working TrueNAS Scale server with an available PCIe slot (x16).

Seems like worst case scenario I'd need to buy an expansion card that supports TrueNAS and sell the one that came with it. If this is my best chance of getting this to work, any suggestions for a port that will work with TrueNAS Scale with 4 ports to connect to this 16 bay unit?

Thank you.

Last edited:

nabsltd

Contributor
Says it supports Windows and Linux. It's my understanding that TrueNAS Scale is built on Linux, so does anyone see any reason this should not work with TrueNAS Scale? Assume that I have a working TrueNAS Scale server with an available PCIe slot (x16).
The card is the unknown. The enclosures are just JBOD with 1 SAS cable (SFF-8088) per 4x disks.

An LSI 9200-8e or 9200-16e would definitely connect to the JBOD, but since it doesn't seem like you can buy the enclosure without the QNAP card, you could always buy it and then just replace the card if it doesn't work.

Or, you could get one of the iStarUSA external JBODs, like this, and add a $30 used LSI 9300-8e and a pair of cables and know it will work, because it does for me. Also, the iStarUSA enclosures are 12Gbps, so you can use 12Gbps SAS SSDs and get much faster speeds than SATA SSDs.

SwisherSweet

Contributor
@nabsltd appreciate the recommendation on the iStarUSA JBODs but they are out of stock at my preferred vendor. I ended up getting the 16 bay QNAP JBOD and the included card works just fine in TrueNAS Scale (I didn't test with TrueNAS Core).

I was able to repurpose a 2012 Mac Pro as my second TrueNAS server with this JBOD. Works great!