Processor requirements for my FreeNAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

salata

Cadet
Hello,
I'm quite new to freenas and freebsd, but successfully installed FreeNAS and performed basic configuration on my hardware. I have Gigabyte GA-G33M-DS2R motherboard which is excellent and have 6SATA ports with 8GB of RAM and Intel Pentium DualCore 2160 (which I found is bottle neck to my system) I need to replace with something faster. System is managing zfs filesystem on 4x1,5TB RAIDZ and 2x1,5TB dynamic stripe. Everything is kept in very nice and quiet Fractal Design Define Mini case. I'm running 8.0.1-RC1 and have CIFS/NFS/SSH enabled and made Transmission working as well. I'm planning to start also SMART, iSCSI and FTP server.
Can you recommend decent LGA775 family processor that can handle my system. I may extend HDD capacity in the near future with 3x3TB RAIDZ. Do not want to spend lot of money on Q9550 and would rather buy cheap Core2Duo E7200 and underclock it if possible to lower the power consumption and system temperature. Should I go for E7200 or something faster?

--
regards
Salata

salata

Cadet
Got an answer. Just bought E7300 and replaced my old one 2160. Write speed increased from 70-80 MiB/s to 110-113 MiB over SMB/CIFS and CPU usage is lower. What is bothering me is the read speed which should be similar or faster but it is not. My current read speed increased from 50 MiB to 70 MiB after some tweaks on my Windows 7. Is it issue related to WIN7 only?
Any guides how to configure NFS under WIN7 x64 Ultimate from FreeNAS side as well?

regards
Salata

Status
Not open for further replies.