Problems with ISCSI, DEDUP and ZVol

Darkyere

Cadet
I have this comical issue that i have created a TrueNAS Scale just to try it out and use it as a sort of shared Steam/Games in general Library.

I enabled De Duplication on the zpoll since it is going to be exectly the same data for my computer (2 of my own and a friends laptop).

So i created my own Sparce Zvol of 650 GiB since it only allows for 80% of available space.
Create and enabled ISCSI. Then i transferred a game of 122 GiB.

And now the exiting moment came.
I would have to create a new ZVol and a new ISCSI share and transfer the same game and learn how to see the deduplication difference in ZFS DeDup.

But it is here the pinnacle came.

Now i could only create a ZVol of 500 GiB instead of 650 GiB since it needs to be less than 80% of "Available" space.

But in theory the exactly same game and same version etc. Should end up using the same space. Because of DeDUp.

But i cant in any way create a Sparce ZVol of 650GiB since its above the 80% Available space.
And when my freind come's by with his laptop i will have even less "Available" space since i would like to transfer more games.

Is it possible to guide me to do this,
or perhaps even allow for a Sparce ZVol of any size that the Zpool has as total storage.

Ty and best regards,
Darkyere

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
So you'd like more rope to hang yourself? :grin:

It would have worked if you set-up both ZVols ahead of time, then starting filling them.
I would also expect SMB and NFS sharing would give you better dedup and fewer constraints.

Does anyone know a good way of adding more rope???