Problems flashing LSI SAS2308 firmware on X10SL7-F board

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm attempting to flash the LSI SAS2308 firmware on my recently purchased SuperMicro X10SL7-F board to IT mode. The process fails after downloading the firmware, when attempting to reset the adapter.

The first attempt was made by running the SMC2308T.NSH script file from the UEFI shell. The next three attempts were made by manually running the commands in the SMC2308T.NSH file from the UEFI shell. Every attempt ends the same way. The last attempt was made using the -debug switch on sas2flash, but it didn't provide any useful additional info.

Looking at the commands in SMC2308T.NSH, I see the first command would have erased the whole flash region. I see that this is followed by three commands to flash firmware and two BIOSs. The command to flash the firwmare is the one that is failing. Should I try to flash those two BIOSs?

I've studied the manual for sas2flash, but I don't see any obvious other steps. Is there anything else I can try before contacting support? Should I contact SuperMicro, or LSI?

A few screen shots follow.

Attachments

• IMG_1336.jpg
    IMG_1336.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 388
  • IMG_1338.jpg
    IMG_1338.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 396
  • IMG_1339.jpg
    IMG_1339.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 388

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about
I don't have this card, but you are more than welcome to my notes that I have to flash my H200 mezz cards. I know this is a different card than yours, so don't take my notes as what you should be using as far as firmware and bios...

I did not see where you used the "sas2flsh -o -e 6" command to put it into "Advanced Mode" and erase the existing flash..

Keep in mind I do my flashing from a USB stick running FreeDos (made using Rufus)... so no UEFI for me...

Also, my stuff below is for reference ONLY. NO guarantees are given.

Do this with ONLY the H200 installed, no other HBAs/Controllers

To just flash it to IT mode without the BIOS:

1) Put the "sas2flsh" into "Advanced Mode" and Erase Existing Flash
Command: sas2flsh -o -e 6
2) Flash H200 to IT Mode:
Command: sas2flsh -o -f 2118it.bin
3) Verify Command: sas2flsh -listall

To flash it to IT mode with the BIOS:

1) Put the "sas2flsh" into "Advanced Mode" and Erase Existing Flash
Command: sas2flsh -o -e 6
2) Flash H200 to IT Mode:
Command: sas2flsh -o -f 2118it.bin -b mptsas2.rom

*** The 2118IR.bin is also here for the "IR" mode...

Reference: http://brycv.com/blog/2012/flashing-it-firmware-to-lsi-sas9211-8i/
Additional Reference: http://pastebin.com/YicqtWb9

Mirfster

Just saw this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5f1jhNKw33c

May help you. It mentions that you should get the last 9 digits of the SAS as well to enter during the process

/Well looks like the guy basically ran the NSH as had no issues... Maybe this doesn't help much... lol

I did not see where you used the "sas2flsh -o -e 6" command to put it into "Advanced Mode" and erase the existing flash..
Thanks for your notes. They are similar to the commands in the 2308T204.NSH script included with the firmware update from SuperMicro.

The first command in 2308T204.NSH is "sas2flash -o -e 7". This should have been run the first time I ran that script. I also ran it manually before manually running the firmware update command. The sas2flash reference I found says that "sas2flash -o -e 7" will erase the complete flash. "sas2flash -o -e 6" erases everything except the manufacturing area (what is that?).

I've filed a support ticket with SuperMicro.

Mirfster

TBH, I am not sure. I could take a guess, but that would just probably sound too obvious/stupid. Hope SuperMicro can help and if so, maybe you could post the info to assist anyone else that may run into this.

Closing the loop:

SuperMicro tech support had me try various things over several days, but nothing I tried was able to get the LSI 2308 to accept firmware. They concluded it was probably defective, and suggested I RMA it with Newegg, where I purchased it two weeks ago. I'll send the motherboard back to Newegg today.

fn369

Explorer
Closing the loop:

SuperMicro tech support had me try various things over several days, but nothing I tried was able to get the LSI 2308 to accept firmware. They concluded it was probably defective, and suggested I RMA it with Newegg, where I purchased it two weeks ago. I'll send the motherboard back to Newegg today.
As a matter of interest, and in order to really, really close the loop! Did you replace it with the same model? Can you please confirm whether you were able to flash the firmware on the replacement? Thanks.

Yes, the replacement board was also an X10SL7-F, and the first attempt to flash the firmware worked correctly, using exactly the same procedure that failed with the original board.

fn369

Explorer
Thank you very much for letting me know. Delighted to hear you had success second time around!

Status
Not open for further replies.