Problems booting from DOM on Intel S4200

Status
Not open for further replies.

garyn_87048

Dabbler
Hi!

I’m trying to install freeNAS 8 on an Intel S4200. I can successfully run the 64 bit version (FreeNAS-8.3.0-RELEASE-p1-x86) from a USB. I am unable to boot using the unit’s DOM (4GB Disk On Module 40 Pin- IDE). I get the error “Trying to mount root from ufs:/dev/ufs/FreeNASs1a” and I’m left with the mountroot prompt.

At the mountroot prompt, entering ‘?’ I get:
List of GEOM managed disk devices:
ada3s1 ada2s1 ada1s1 ada3 ada2 ada1 ada0s1 ada0
Loader variables:
vfs.root.mountfrom=ufs:/dev/ufs/FreeNASs1a
vfs.root.mountfrom.options=ro

After hitting return at the mountroot prompt, I am sent to a “db>” prompt.

The unit has 4 SATA WD5002ABYS drives. I also have a graphics card (16x attached to a 1x extender cable) and a USB keyboard attached.

History part 1: Initially, I removed one of the hard drives and temporarily replaced it with a DVD drive and booted the freeNAS ISO image. The console configuration screen could only see the three remaining SATA hard drives as potential targets to install the boot image and not the DOM drive set to primary in the IDE slot.

History part 2: I temporarily moved the DOM into another system that also contained an IDE port and booted the freeNAS ISO image from a DVD drive. At the system configuration screen I downloaded the freeNAS image onto the DOM which this time was visible. After changing the BIOS settings to IDE first, this system was able to successfully boot from the DOM.

Current: the DOM is back in the Intel S4200 and all four drives have been reinstalled.

I’m thinking that freeNAS doesn’t seem to recognize the PATA drive that it is being booted from?

I’m fairly new to Unix and, yes simply booting from an external USB drive is probably the easiest fix, but I sure would like to figure out how to solve this issue and successfully use the DOM module.

Likely, in order to solve the main issue, I will also need some tips on how to do simple stuff like modify configuration files (how do I get to a shell prompt). Is vi part of this release? Can I capture the output from the boot text? I can’t see the DOM file system even when I put the DOM unit back in the ‘other’ Intel system in the IDE port.

Thank for the help!

paleoN

Wizard
Try booting up e.g. a live FreeBSD 8.3 cd with verbose boot or possibly just verbose boot when booting off USB.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Some motherboards will not boot from IDE correctly with any OS.

garyn_87048

Dabbler
I solved this and correctly loaded freenas 9.3 onto a 4G DOM drive. The system boots correctly now.

Follow these instructions: http://www.frijid.net/blog/?p=117

This leaves the system booted with the network card off (or not working). I will update again when I get the network card issue fixed.

Status
Not open for further replies.